Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Un-Marked 940's "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi, is there any one that could help me to answer the question, on some of the 940’s there is no marking as to the model, just the serial number to go by? No where are 940 written on the movement. But I took the movement a part and serviced it and all the parts were Hamilton, so it is an original but no markings as to 940, other then the serial number? Why? Help?
Jerry

Posts: 89 | Location: Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: August 04, 2007
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Jerry, Most if not all the early model Hamilton did not have the model number on them. Including the 16 size watches. Maybe someone else can explain why.

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have always thought that Hamilton began marking their movement numbers after the hue and cry went up from the RR Watch Inspector's that they must have these model numbers marked on the movements to qualify which were made a RR grade. The problem was excaberated by so very many Hamilton-Built "Special" double signed RR inspector's watches with no other sign of being made to RR quality.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Geesh, and I tossed up so many because they had no grade numbers!!!!!!!!!

That's what happens when I failed to learn more about other watches.

Good question, gives us all good information.
(At it for years, and still learning)

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

If I remember correctly the time inspection rules changed around 1906 or so and from whatever point it was forward all watches entering Railroad Time Service had to be specifically marked as to grade. For this reason we have early un-marked as to grade, even unmarked as to positions and the markings evolving over time.

Some unsold inventory Hamiltons and factory serviced movements were re-marked by them post-production to comply with newly enacted regulations. (And of course there are movements that were re-marked or perhaps defaced in a less-than-professional manner, but that's a whole different subject.) Some collectors place a premium on "fully-marked" movements, others like collecting one of each variant to show the progression.

This "fully-marked" number 937323 is 1912 production...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Lindell's meets the new marked grade criteria. Before that Hamilton was famous for;
#1 Claiming all their watches were RR Grade.
#2. Making "Special" models of their RR Watches for all the RR Inspectors, some were pretty fancy too! Example is my P.L Canadian 926 which is RR Grade and was kinda "glitzy" too! You would only know it was a 926 from the S/N listing!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
This is really interesting! I had always wondered why some 940's were unmarked also.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
posted
I think there was a lot of unmarked grades with Hamilton, but I also heard that it was when they made the RR rules it had to be marked. Here is a pic of my 992 w/o grade marking this is also an early one.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks everone for your input. Nice to know I don't have the only one out there! Jerry

Posts: 89 | Location: Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: August 04, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Lindell, David,

Those are some fantastic looking watches!

What Beauties. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004