WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A couple new aquisitions need information Photos Now Posted "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Today I visited a scrapper who was in town for several days. I purchased a few watches that I know something about, and a few I know nothing about. Here are the "know somethings"
The 19 J BW Raymond with a broken MS mentioned in David Abbe's Masterpiece post.
A Hamilton 992 with a broken staff
An Elgin sn 25317345, 15Jewel
A Waltham sn 16633396, a 12s 17j 1894
An 18s Elgin 15 jewel

Here are the "know nothing" abouts
A Rockford in what appears to be a 12s case, but a smaller movement SN 922371
A Gruen SemiThin SN 709457, this appears to be a 10s, or about 37 mm across the movement.
A Solid 14K Omega that appears to be a 10s, or equivalent, 17 jewel, in a triple signed dial/case/movement configuration.

Now I'll post some photos a bit later tomorrow, but the Omega, being the $$$ watch and the totally unknown Rockford are some I'll be watching for info on. Thanks

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The Omega

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Omega Movement is in solid 14K, Omega Marked case.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Rockford

IHC Member 1016
posted
Rockford movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
Gruen SemiThin

IHC Member 1016
posted
Gruen movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
Of these watches comments are sought. As I mentioned I really don't know much about them. I believe the Omega to have some value and I paid plenty to "save it from the scrapper" and will probably offer it for sale soon. All three of these watches run, but, need service and cleaning. I know the value is determined by the market forces of several bidders, or, a reasonable offering price but sometimes I list a Vacheron Constantine as a Swiss watch too!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Nice items Mike,

The Rockford fascinates me, it appears to be an 0-size Ladies Hunter that had its fourth wheel pinion (seconds hand) removed, a flat, perhaps metal dial (they used both metal and porcelain-enamel for this trick) attached and sold in an Open-Face case. The finished product made it appear to be a thin style 12-size watch that was gaining in popularity from the end of the first decade of the 20th Century onward.

The watch manufacturers and larger jewelry distributors did things like this in order to sell obsolete inventory, the best known example of what I describe being the Waltham "Opera Watches" which became very popular having beautifully detailed cases.

Thanks for sharing your finds,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Lin, Opera Watch was what popped into my mind when I saw it. I'll be selling most of these but they are not being melted down and for the most part, I got them right.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Mike , that Rockford was way ahead of its time, looks like something from the 1920's, but Rockford was long gone by then.Nice watches...Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mike's Rockford is now up for bids...

Rockford Pocket, ends July 1, 2200 site time

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I had an Elgin that was the same way, 6S movement, no 4th pinion end for a sec hand and a metal dial. the case was specially made to adapt the 6s movement to appear to be a 12s watch. I think the case was base metal so it would have been made to retrofit watches that had their cases scrapped duing the downturns in the early 20's and later in the depression.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Here's the above mentioned BW Raymond with a mainspring installed. Seems to right on after 2 hours!

IHC Member 1016
posted
The movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
The dial without the crystal and bezel. Seems pretty nice. Not too bad and I "needed" a 19 Jewel BWR.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Case is in really nice shape for a Base Metal Keystone.