Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case sleeve adjustment "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have a nice clean 16s Crescent swing-ring long stem/round bow silveroid case to use for a South Bend gr.217 lever set.The question I have is, how do you adjust the sleeve and stem on this type case? I took the crown off, and I can't see the slots in the sleeve for the sleeve wrench.This case has what looks like a gold bushing on top of the pendant neck which fits inside the crown, does that unscrew to get to the sleeve?The movement fits just fine, but is a little hard to swing out,even with the crown pulled up in the setting position, feels like the stem needs to be shortened or the sleeve adjusted up a little.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
Ted,

Can you add a picture of the neck of the case? Usually the bushing at the top threads off and the stem sleeve you are familiar with will be below that. There may be a cork stem-seal below the bushing that should come out pretty easy with a toothpick.

Paul

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Ted, without actually looking at it I may be off, but that bushing/dust cover needs to be taken off. I believe you will find that it will screw off. There is a felt, or rubber, little bushing there that you should keep in it also. Once you have it off you should be able to adjust it so that the stem will not interfere with the movement when you pull the crown up. I would be sure to clean it good, and then put a little oil or grease on the moving parts so they will operate freely.

Sorry Paul, I didn't see you there!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1555
posted
This case sounds like the one Larry and Paul have described Ted, unscrew the gold retainer, on the underside of the retainer you will find the felt bush Larry and PAul have spoke about. Normally with these cases the sleeve will probably not be threaded as it is retained in place by the felt spacer and retainer. To adjust these you either have to change the sleeve length by using a different length one or change your stem for one that has the sleeve lock in a different position. These cases are always much better suited to Lever set movements. It sounds in your case that you need to have a slightly shorter stem fitted.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks guys,I'll give a shot,I figured the gold bushing would have to come off.I appreciate the help! Regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008