• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Ball Hamm 999B "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just bought this today, and wanted to know that all was proper and correct, that is dial, hands, case, movement, etc., and maybe a closer year of production info.
Any Info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Dial 2

posted
case back

posted

posted

posted

posted

posted
and finally

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Bill, I far from being a Ball expert Do believe your watch is original it comes from a production of type 1 2300 units built in 1952 by Hamilton. the bow is a stirip bow used by ball to their own specifications. The dial and hands seem to be original as well comparing to a 1949 999b photo I have. Is this another garage sale catch of yours?
A Waltham wind indicator and a Ball 999b in the same month some people are born lucky.
Walter

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
posted
Thanks Walter,
I was kinda hoping one of the Ball Experts would chime in, but I guess not to be. I then have to assume that it is all correct, as I believe it is.
Thanks again,
Bill

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Bill,

The term "expert" is subjective Roll Eyes and often overused, but from my observations and studies, your watch looks like the real deal. As was pointed out by Retail Jeweler, Canadian Time Inspector thereby noted authority Walter Colk above Smile that movement 1B24443 is according to the Hamilton Movement Number Listings Preserved by John F. Gelson there on our numbered page 21 is indeed from 1952 production. There is a further work-up here in 16-size Ball-Hamilton 999 and 999B Movement Numbers and Years Listing where we crunch the numbers on these fascinating watches and Ball Hamilton 999B Models, 21and 23jewel Question - Basic 999B History and More! where we get into some interesting 999B specifics and variants.

A couple additional points, your case has remnants of the original vertical butler finish on the outside case-back and the case number fits into others from the same time-frame. That is also a correct melamine dial and charcoal-colored hands.

Nice Cool acquisition! Let's hear what others say.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I concur with Walter and Lin, looks like a nice example, most likely an original combination that no one has messed with.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004