• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gold Filled Marking? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Hampden Railway hunting case wind up 18 size watch. 1889 year I believe. First of all, that is not in the [Gilbert-Engle-Shugart] book. But my question is this...
The case is definitely gold-filled, but the case marking says Dueber Champion 14K. That's it. What is that all about?
jeff

Posts: 41 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My understanding is that adding the term "Champion" defines it as Gold Filled.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Oh I see. Thanks David. I guess they were trying to disguise it best they could.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Actually nothing secretive Jeff,

The vast majority of Gold-Filled cases at that time were recognizable by a model-name, in this instance "Champion" but there were many, many others. Back then the names were well-known to most people in the jewelry and watch-selling trades. Confusion led to eventual government intervention, by the 1920s content had to be clearly stated on all jewelry items.

Due to there being so many case names, not all can be shown in the "Complete Guide to Watches" but it does provide a good starting point. The use of Champion, Special and Newport are among the Gold-Filled Dueber model names that come to mind.

Here is some additional information...

CLICK TO SEE: IHC Find-Or-Search for Gold-Filled Case Names

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell,
Question arises in my mind. I am in advertising and know how companies hide info to make something seem what it is not. I realize that the jewelers and such know what the terms are. But to the general public, they see "14K Champion", and the jeweler says, "this is 14 karat" (which is not a lie, it is 2 plates of 14K), hence the regular Joe out there thinks it's "gold". You see where I'm going with that? Am I being to judgemental on the watch and jewelry industry?
jeff

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Yeah Jeff, when anyone says... "it is 2 plates of 14K" ...we must always remember it is only brass in between those thin "plates" of gold. And of course it is for the "regular Joe" you mentioned that the government intervention I referenced in my post above was so very necessary.

You and I are probably two of the few that may often find commercials more interesting than the programs that surround them. Smile I often get torqued when car dealers advertise a super-low monthly lease term and then all that fine print at the bottom of the screen reveals the several thousands of dollars the lessee has to come up with in up-front costs, fees and such.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
That is too funny Lendell!
You are so right. I do enjoy the commercials. I write commercials for tv and radio. Hence, I am constantly working, because I see commercials on tv and get idas. My wife hears me say all the time, "Did you hear that offer? It was vague enough to means one thing on the surface, but really it means..." And she knows I'm right, because of my field of work.
Thanks for the insight about the gov intervention in that nomenclature topic of gold/gold filled.
jeff

posted
Sorry Lindell, not Lendell

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Jeff I believe the Champion marking on Dueber cases meant a 20 year case.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009