Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I just got my first Hamilton 990! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I just got my first Hamilton 990! I had never even seen one until it arrived today. What a gorgeous watch! I personally like it a lot better than the 992's. I like the old style 992's but this is far and away much prettier movement IMHO. This 990 comes serviced and in a Hamilton display case. I have never been one to collect display cases but at least it shows of a gorgeous movement. The dial is trash but I have some nice Hamilton dials all I have to do is make sure I put the right dial with it. It is a 1904 model s/n 356146.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I like that movement too. The amount of detail is impressive. I put mine into a display case as well just to show off the movement.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
If you check the specifications you will see not only is the 990 a prettier movement it is a much better movement and often overlooked because people get so hung up on the 992s. I have two 990s the double and single screw version, I think there might be some other variations but those are the most obvious.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Claude can you explain what the double and single screw version mean. I know one thing it means I have to find the other versions.

Harry

IHC Member 1016
posted
That 990 is, as you say, a gorgeous movement. Yours will take a 4 post dial, so be careful when you search for one. It should also be a double sunk one. There is a reproduction on ebay right now and if you are interested I CAN SEND A LINK OFF OF PW DISCUSSIONS. The real thingss can be difficult to find in decent shape, not to mention, costly.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Mike,
Please send me the link. I already have a Swiss fake double sunk dial but the numbers are kind of small. I'll look at it. I have one 4 foot dial double sunk and it has been repaired. It is 1000% better than what's on there though. All the rest of my four foot dials are single sunk dials.

Thank,
Harry

posted
Pretty, aren't they?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
They sure are! The double screws over the crown wheel are what Claude was referring to. Seems like the newer models moved to a single screw. Mine has an all gold train best I can tell. I wonder if that was only for the older double screw models, or for the newer single screw models as well?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My comments stand as per my 2008 post;The Hamilton 990 was a far better finished piece in my opinin. Here I compare my 990 to a WWII vintage 992B and you can easily see there was much greater time spent skillfully detailing the 990. They are rare and beautiful, and often ignored in the pell-mell rush to collect 992's. The trains and bridges are quite different, few parts will correctly interchange.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
There were about 16,500 990's made as opposed to the 1m+ 992's, no doubt much was changed for the 992 model, but the mechanical artistry and sheer beauty of the 990 was left behind when the 992 went into production.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
If you look at Dave's first picture and look at the small wind wheel it has two screws, Hamilton changed this later to a single screw much like the 992B. I have picked up both of mine 990's for less that the typical 992,again that all depends on condtion and case but in many cases people appear to pass the 990 by.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dave for sharing your photos. I have a new 992 much like the one in your photo of the 992B. I do not care much for that design I much prefer the old model 992 which I have two of. I just got the newer 992 because I did not have one.
I MUCH prefer my 990. Now all I need is a 4 foot dial. This dial is not in great shape but from a foot away it looks pretty good. I have two dozen Hamilton dials and the only one I have that should go with this movement I repaired. It is better than the one that is on it. I can put a double sunk Swiss dial on it BUT...

Thank you Claude and Dan and Dave for explaining the double screws to me. Mine is a double screw model with gold train and gold jewel holders.

Eric beautiful photography on your 990. I wish I could take photos like that!

IHC Member 1610
posted
Mike I did not get an attachment or link in the email you sent me.

Harry

posted
Harry congratulations on getting the 990. I was one of the loosing bidders on that one. I'm glad it went to an IHC member who appreciates it. I agree with Mike that you may have a hard time finding a 4 foot dial but I have seen a couple nice ones sell on eBay for reasonable prices in the past couple weeks. There is reproduction 4 foot Montgomery dial on eBay now that I will send you a link for.

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
The other option is to find a parts lower jewel Hamilton that falls into the serial number range for the 4 foot dial. That is what I did, someone was selling a Hamilton 17j (can remember which) that came with a double sunk dial and was in the 4 foot serial number range and I picked it up for less than $30, clean the dial which was near flawless and got a parts movement as a bonus for the future.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Robert and Claude. I will try both of your suggestions. I looked at my 974's and I have one that the s/n is 874,??? and it has a 4 foot dial and I believe that is the upper limit on 4 foot dials.

Sorry about beating you out on the bidding.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Harry, you are correct about the time-frame when Hamilton four-foot dials were being phased out. We peg it around the 872000 area on the 992 movements which makes that a good number to remember.

Now, here is an earlier Hamilton 990 topic with additional information, images and links...

CLICK FOR: Hamilton 990 dial question

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice one,Harry!Those really are a work of art...996's and 972's are also pretty elaborate, maybe a close second to a 990.I'll never understand the frenzy over 992B's,when you can get a drop-dead gorgeous 990 for less!Regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
I like both the 996 and 972. They are very nice watches. I have one 996 and a couple 972's. Here is a photo of my 990. Of course it needs a dial.

IHC Member 1610
posted
And the rear.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Nice marked 990 movement. Good stuff.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Mike.