• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Vanguard Model 1892 - 19 Jewel - Hunter "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Just wanted to pass along some information on the Hunter 1892 Waltham Vanguard movement - 19 jewels

Apparently Waltham only made ~ 800. There were 2 Variations. The first occurs in a run from - 11033501-11033700. The rest occur in the 11500310-14057300 range. Both variations came with 3 barrel bridge screws and the case screw position between the winding wheels. This one also has the serial number at the bottom of the barrel bridge.

This specific one was born in the beginning of the second run and was found in a trashed out base metal OF case Eek . The Fat book gives a one Star rating and price range of roughly 350-750

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
A great pick-up Jon, a diamond in the rough.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011

posted
Thanks Bila... Smile

The Model 1892 is an interesting creature with just the six or so different winding wheel patterns by themselves.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Cool watch Jon, and though it seems strange for Waltham's highest grade M92, the blank winding wheels are correct.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
What is the "fat book" you refer to?

Posts: 9 | Location: San Francisco, California in the USA | Registered: May 17, 2013

posted

IHC Life Member
posted
You know Jon I've got a nice silver case that movement would look swell in.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1338
posted
I could probably come up with some cash as well

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
I can always use another! Smile Here is an early serial number example.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009

posted
Mr Mike...

I do have a question for you... There was also a Pendant Set 21j 1892 Crescent with this one. What is the history on the pendant set versions on the 21j?

New to me...

posted
From what I can see, there are just as many PS watches manufactured as there are lever set ones. When Waltham came out with their first 1892 grade it was a HC, lever set model (17J), and it was immediately followed by a PS, open face model. Throughout the history of this Model, there seems to be equal numbers of PS and LS watches produced. I presume the LS models were primarily for the RR workers where lever sets were required.

According to Walthams records, the first Crescent Street run was a PS model, (Serial # 7007001) but there were LS models mixed in the first run, as well. I have found that Waltham's own records are just a mess. There are numerous exceptions in their own production records especially with regard to jewel count, and PS vs LS movements. I am attaching a couple pictures of a first run Crescent Street - which is supposed to be a PS movement according to their records. It's lever set!

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
....and now the dial. Did I answer your question? Note the lever.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Jon, I posed this question back in March on the '21 jewel Crescent Street' as I have not seen as many pendant sets as lever sets, Bob (aka Robert McClelland)responded saying that the ratio of lever to pendant set is somewhere around 4.5 to 1.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
As accurate as Waltham's records are, I just added up the first 28,000 Mdl 1892's of all grades combined. . There were 14,000 PS movements and 14,100 LS movements. This would take us through the first 3 years of production.

I then checked Waltham's records for the first 10 years of 1892 production just for Crescent Streets. Although there were several large runs of Crescent Streets where the set was not described, there were 200 PS movements and 11,100 LS movements. This was an eye opener for me. The Crescent Street, pictured below, is from the first run of 1000, PS, Crescent Streets.

posted
Here is the dial for the above pictured Cres. Street. I believe the dial is period, but not sure about the hands. Thoughts?

posted
Very interesting information on the first three years (28,000 combined 1892 grades). 90% of the 1892s out there seem to be lever set. Therefore, I would be in the same camp with Bila, w/o the information that Mike produced.

Also, really like the center stamped serial # on the early 1892. Bold and beautiful - Smile

posted
This is a '92 Crescent Street from my collection. It is also from the first run and is lever set. It is also marked '5 positions' which is unusual for such an early movement.

Posts: 134 | Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: February 04, 2010
posted
This is the dial.

posted
Sorry, wrong pictures! These are the correct ones.

posted
And the dial.