Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with ID of Getty movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,

As a brand new member of this forum, I am hoping for help in identifying my second pocket watch. The watch was bought from a friend...I knew almost nothing about it except that it was beautiful. Since then I've tried to research for any information that I can find. I was told that the watch was recently cleaned and oiled.

So far this is what I've tentatively found out:

The watch face is labeled Harvey Fritz, Oil City, PA. Size is 16, and it is in a hunter case - Which may be wrong for the movement.

The movement is an Illinois Getty, 17J. Markings are Adjusted, Safety Pinion, 17 Ruby Jewels, 1419182

The case inside dust cover says Wadsworth Pilot, Guaranteed 20yrs. The number is 891080

If you have any additional information, or can verify anything above, I would be grateful. Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the poor quality photos...

Norm

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Arizona in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
posted
Here is the face of the same watch as above.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Arizona in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
posted
Welcome Norm, you will love it here.

Your movement is from a 100 piece run (1,419,101-1,419,200) and is a Railroad grade, hunter, model 4, grade 187, adjusted to 6 positions and has a total production of 1310 movements. The case is not original to the movement as there are extra marks from a prior movement.
Your watch is top notch, and highly collectable. Harvey Fritz was born in Pennsylvania in 1862, he was a jewelry retailer and a Ball Watch retailer as well. Here is a picture of him on the left with the wyatt earp style mustache Harvey

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
You might want to check out this thread as it appears you also like the Getty style Illinois movements. Getty thread

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 1016
posted
I really like that dial. That is a very nice watch. There are some Illinois/Getty experts on this forum, but I am not one of them. Someone always learns something from each post. Thanks for sharing this one.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Thanks for the information. Especially as I posted initially just past midnight my time! Nice to have some expert info so soon.

My initial plan in collecting is to get a decent example of each of the big names. They don't all need to be finger bridgers, but I am initially drawn to the type.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Norm, As a collectible you have a real "ringer", it can be said that your watch is most likely one of;
1. less than 10 in existence today of this make, model and Private label signing.
2. Less than 300 survivors in this grade.
3. The most profoundly robust movements ever designed and built in America . . a Getty Design.
4. An Illinois of the highest fit and finish quality.
5. Lastly, a "Three finger" bridge cut to mimic the Swiss "Bar" movements which this Illinois Getty would easily outperform anytime anywhere.

A "Good Start" for your "Three Finger" Collection!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Wow! Talk about getting lucky! I feel really fortunate to have picked up this watch, and to have a source of information such as you folks on this forum.

Now...hopefully I can contain my instant high and not go buy everything in sight. Just kidding, I will read a lot more before getting too many watches...I expect that I can't count on being as fortunate in the future.

Thanks again!