Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS THING?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey guys & gals, I need some help with this one.

I call it my 'upside down' watch,because obviously it is upside down. Is this the way it's supposed to be or has someone
un-intentionally set it up this way for some unknown reason.

I can't find any info from Elgin that would explain this configuration.

All help is welcome....
The photos below aren't very good but at least you can see the watch, I think....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Another pic.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Another

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Rear View

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Inside Rear Cover

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I don't know what the face material is. It is quite dirty, as you can tell, but looks to be in okay shape.

Let me know what you think this thing is....

Thanks,

Jerry

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very Interesting Jerry!

In 16 and 18-size these are usually considered "Busman's Watches" worn from the belt by bus drivers so they could glance down and see the time without taking their hands off the wheel. When not driving the watch was then conveniently tucked into the driver's watch pocket. Your example being from 1926 it may well have been an original combination, I would want to clean and preserve it.

We also find this configuration in smaller watches worn on a chain around the neck by teachers and others. In the image below an 0-size silver cased "Nun's Watch" from Debbie's collection.

Lindell

Wink

Any "Upside-Down" watch is an interesting find...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thank you Lindell,

Hm, a Busman's watch. That's interesting.

I have seen the smaller ones as in the example you showed but never a large heavy one like this. I sure couldn't imagine it being worn around the neck like the smaller ones. So your explanation is very logical. Big Grin

Thanks a lot...
Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have been accumulating these for awhile with the intention of selling a restored movement with a new dial in the choice of Black Dial, or White dial as both seem to have been used during WWII by motorcycle couriers. I have the new dial art finished and am now preparing about 100 watches for this effort. I will sell them to my Harley Market where they pay Fr****in Mint $350.00 for Made in china Junkers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The previous picture were all original watchparts.
This is a sample of what I intend to do.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
These are very fine examples, Dave. I guess the watch manufacturers made watches for all types of applications. It makes sense anyway.

Thanks for your input....

Oh, by the way, are any of these going to make it to our Member only auctions?

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
notes on grade 480: flat nickel first 16s flat nickel finish
# 1950 MC says "16s-Auto"

From what I see of the grade 480's some are marketed in ebay sales as a CAR watch!

Good post, I didn't notice these before, Thanks!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The various "Busman's Watches" that I've seen are predominately 7-Jewels and more often than not 16-size but I'm sure there were a few sold in 18-size. Consider that when these were coming into general use at the immediate post-WW-I-era the lesser 18-size watches were pretty much a thing of the past. I would also speculate an 18-size might be thought of as a bit clumsy in this particular use.

Great work Dave, the "U.S.A." connection is a natural for Harley riders!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002