Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help!! A dillemma "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
If you had to pick from a 18s Elgin Veritas or a 16s 21j Bunn special 60 hour, which would you pick? Any comments?

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have neither, and would choose the Veritas. I love those 18-size 3/4-plate movements!

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Bruce,
You don't give enough information to make a choice. A 21 or 23J Veritas? Dial, Case?

The dial and case on the Bunn? A Bunn Special without the Bunn case is pretty unappealing. The dial could make a difference.

Throwing out the dials case etc., I would lean towards the vetatis because of rareness vs. the B.S.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Bruce,

I have both, like both. As Jim pointed out we're talking big differences in design. If you plant to carry it the Bunn Special 60-Hour is tough as nails, but if it's to look at, like Jerry mentioned the design of the Veritas is beautiful. Those are two very different watches and relative condition is also a factor.

Bottom line, we need a whole lot more information.

Lindell

Wink Big Grin Confused

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I have pretty much made up my mind but it is always fun picking the brains of others.

Description of Both watches

Bunn Special Sixty hour, 21 jewel Serial# 5069347. The dial is correct with a small repair at the 5. Movement is housed in Keystone J Boss 14k (plated)case.(Not a bunn special case).

Elgin 18s Veritas, 21 jewel Serial# 11505951. The dial is in good condition with a small chip at the 7. Housed in a nice heavy premier 5 year case.

Which one would you guys pick???

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

By all means the Veritas!

By 1928 when Illinois Bunn Special number 5069347 was finished most were factory cased. As Jim pointed out many of us prefer them that way. The cost of a factory case is high and that dial would nag you until finally you buy a perfect one. It is a "Type III" with an 86,000 production total. The Veritas 11505951 from 1904 sounds a little nicer and is perhaps a better value.

Here's the link to "Elgin Wayne" Schlitt's information...

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=11505951&action=search

As you can see, though not exactly rare, the 21-Jewel Elgin Veritas Grade 239 is far less common at 20,000 produced. If you keep information on your collection that page would be worth printing.

Show us the pictures of whatever watch you choose.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Elgin Watch Collector
posted
Well, I know which one *I* would choose. Wink

For those that like the 3/4 plate 18s Elgins, make sure you check out the really cool drawings that they made for it and the story behind the drawing: http://elginwatches.org/technical/watch_diagram.html

I have a hard time imaging doing this kind of thing with a modern cad package, I hate to think of how much work and calculations this would require by hand. (In a former-life, I helped develop a 3D cad package, so I'm very aware of the calculations involved.)

Posts: 38 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I know the suspense is killing all of you... I picked the Veritas.. The Bunn was nice... A real working mans watch. The Veritas on the other hand (IMHO)is just a beautiful piece of work. Very nice lines and Railroad approved to boot... Thanks for everyones input..

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Here is a couple pictures of the 18s 21j Veritas

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
The movement

Bruce Byrd