Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crown removal. Help needed. Solved. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi again, I need to ask for some more guidance.
I've read hundreds of old posts and searched but can't find the answer to a simple job.
How do I remove the crown. I am only working on Walthams of the early 1900's and they all seem to be the same, most are a ball shaped and others are shallow with a flat top. None of them seem to have any screws holding them in. One post I read said unscrew the crown but it doesn't seem reasonable to grip the small pin end which protrudes into the case. It looks as if it would bend or snap of.
So can someone enlighten me to the mystery of how to do it.
Another problem I have is that I've purchased a case wrench which has multiple sized ends but they all seem to small and don't have the forked end which I know is required to dismantle the innards after removing the crown. So I think I've got the wrong type. Could someone be good enough to take a look at the "Dave's Watch Parts and Tools Site" and tell me which one I should purchase. It's a bit difficult buying from the US as postage for returning wrong items can soon add up, not to mention the time the shipping takes.
Any help on these items would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting there slowly but never thought I would be foiled by something as simple as removing the crown.
http://www.daveswatchparts.com/CaseTools.html

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Mike, Stem & Sleeve Assembly is in John D. Duvall's "Helping Hand Tutorials" in the Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links about 1/2 way down the main page.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Lorne. The tutorial told me exactly what to do. Use a bit of brute force which I'm always afraid to do.
I got a couple of crowns off and when I looked inside I found that the case wrench which I had was the perfect size for my cases. Wonderful.
Thanks a lot for your help. I will now consider this topic closed.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013