Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Dial 14K? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dial is stamped 14K on rear, what does that refer to, the main plate is not 14k, just the numerals? bit misleading if that is the case, have not seen one of these dial before on a 922 14K case that I maybe selling shortly

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Chris,

Your first impression is correct, the "14K" on this sharp, original dial refers to the solid-gold applied numerals. However the "Argent" marking means the dial is silver, a really class act.

That dial is a prize!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Chris, Looking forward to seeing this beauty in a NO RESERVE auction right here at 185. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Case is a winner to, have you seen any examples of this style of dail?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Solid 14K heavy

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Chris
Your dial is seen on both the 12 size 922 and the Masterpiece. On the 922 a silver dial like yours listed for $10.

I think you will find that the many of the high end 12 size watches had silver dials with 10kt or 14kt numbers.Yours is a very nice example as typically they show some spotting near the edges.

As I have not seen one of these dials off a watch I don't know if they were marked 14kt or not.

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
12-Size Expert
posted
Here is a hand carved Illini silver dial with 14kt hand carved center portion. This was the most expensive Illini dial--I have only seen 3 or 4--the watch sold for $220.

12-Size Expert
posted
Here is a silver dial from a C.H. Hulbard--first run. Please excuse the glare but this is a tough dial to photograph.
Bob