• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Has anyone ever seen one of these dials before. The movement is marked the same. I was wondering if there was some significant meaning to the personalization such as a club , union, or was it just the way the jeweler, if that is a jeweler name, wanted to be known..Any thoughts or hard information would be appreciated..

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Movement picture

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
We have three Siegel Bros. Seth Thomas Model 5 movements listed in our database, very close to yours. All are marked "The King - Siegel Bros." and are 17 jewels. S/Ns are 287,066, 068 and 092.
From this, I would say that Siegel Bros was indeed a Boston jeweler. My guess is that both markings are "house brands", as most watch manufacturers would do custom marking, either on the dial, movement or both for little or no extra charge if the jeweler ordered a small number of identical movements at the same time.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
In the Price Guide Biginning to End (the gold book) Meggers & Ehrhardt, they list a Workingman's Friend - Stiegel Brothers,(note the spelling) Boston, Mass. a 15 jewell, model 5, Seth Thomas.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thanks Ed and Brian....much appreciated..

John