Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

23 jewel Veritas "Free Sprung"????? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi!
The 23 jewel Elgin Veritas wind indicator G#494 "Free Sprung" is according to Complete Price guide to watches a 3 star rarity. I just wonder, what is the meaning of "Free Sprung"?
Thank´s!
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Sorry, but I think I found out by my self. A balance hairspring without influence of a regulator!?
Can anybody show a picture of what that looks like?

Bernhard Schmidt

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
A free-sprung watch has no regulator to adjust the timekeeping. Adjustments are made with the mean-time screws.

The theoretical overcoil curve on a finely-adjusted watch or chronometer is designed to maintain isochronism when the regulator pins are at one precise point on the overcoil. On a high-grade watch this is with the regulator at center. As soon as you move the regulator one way or the other, you move away from the ideal "pinning point" on the overcoil. With a free-sprung balance the hairspring is pinned to the stud or potence at this ideal point, with no moveable regulator pins to interfere with the adjustment. All marine chronometers that I am familiar with are free-sprung. I believe the free-sprung Veritas was also intended for military or maritime use.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Thank you!

Bernhard Schmidt

posted
Bernhard,

It is great to see you at the discussion site again.

Here is a very interesting link to "Free Sprung"