Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private label Waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 206
Picture of Wynter Sturtevant
posted
I don't pick up many watches anymore but here is one I stumbled on to today. I thought the info may be wanted for a data base.

16 size Waltham model 08. 17 jewel and adjusted. Serial nember is 18135297. It is marked on one bridge, Waltham Watch Co., No.1024, Specially Adjusted, for, J. Q. Hatch & Co., 17 jewels.

It's a very nice looking movement.

Posts: 96 | Location: Coulterville, California USA | Registered: February 08, 2003
IHC Member 206
posted
Here's a poor picture.

Waltham 08 serial 18135297

Posts: 96 | Location: Coulterville, California USA | Registered: February 08, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Hi Wynter - these are always interesting watches. Is the dial also marked for Hatch? For some reason I have not seen too many private-label movements in 16-size by Waltham. I seem to recall seeing a picture of another Hatch movement in one of Ehrhardt's publications but cannot seem to find it now. I expect you know that your movement is from a group of 1,000 movements listed only as "***'t Spec." in the serial number list. They may well have all been special jeweler-marked movements for various customers. I have recorded a couple of 12-size movements in the latter part of this run marked for Bigelow, Kennard & Co (Boston).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 206
posted
Good morning Jerry,

Thanks for the information. The dial is double sunk with Arabic numerals and marked only "Waltham".

It's also in a simple swing out gold filled Planet case. It looks to be all original and I got from the original owners family.

Now to turn it into something really good! An old tool. Cool

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Dang - I just noticed that the message board software bleeped out the abbreviation for "assorted" in my above post. I did not know that Waltham published obscenities Eek I hope it does not bleep out "assorted" also Roll Eyes

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Hi Jerry -

I'm not by my books right now, but I think that photo is in Ehrhardt Vol. 1.

Fred

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Thanks, Fred. It is in Vol. 1 of his Encyclopedia (p.87) where he shows a different grade -- it is a 21-jewel lever set movement #17,187,618 marked "No.1047 Waltham Watch Co. Specially adjusted for J.Q. Hatch & Co."