Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s Seth Thomas Pendent & Lever Set? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Picked up a 1891 Seth Thomas 18s model 5 Grade 149 with 15j, serial # 292288. My question is why is there a lever set mechanizium under the dial when I can set and wind from the pendent?

Thank you, Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Back of movement. Too bad regulator set screw has broken off. I'm posting for that part in the Parts Wanted section of this site.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I believe what you are seeing under the dial is a device that was used on other brand watches also, it is used so the jeweler can move the watch from wind to set with the movement out of the case.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That stuff is actually meant to enable disengagement the setting function and more safely let down the mainspring.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Thanks David for the nice graphics. I figured you'd know since you now have me into Seth's. When I first pulled the movement from the case I thought the lever had been damaged and that someone had installed new crown gears to update the movement to pendent set. Glad it's actually a correct part of this nice running watch. In 24hrs i've only lost 30 seconds. Now I just have to locate a good whiplash regulator. Heres an image of the dial and hands set in a 25-yr gf case that really isn't period correct, but will do for now.

Thank you, Roland.

R. Glenn