WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is it with the Hamilton 972's regulator spring? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have one 972 in working order with case. A very pretty watch. I have two 972 parts movements and I really would like to get them going but I have not looked to see what they need.

But all three need a regulator spring. I don't know why they all need regulator springs but they do. So I was looking in the price guide to see what Hamilton models parts are interchangeable and I don't really have the watches that interchange with them.

So I have a lot of Hamilton 974's and the price guide does not show the 972 and 974 as similar parts exchange watches. I don't have a 972 regulator so I don't know if it is the same as a Hamilton 974. Does anyone out there know it they are the same? If not I will ask Brian or the membership if anyone has a 972 regulator spring. If I can use a 974 I have plenty of them.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Harry I would give the 974 spring a try. I do not think there are any differences but I am not a Hamilton expert.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Harry, I have two 974s, one with the regulator spring and one without. I carefully checked the 974 spring against my 972's and to me they appear to be exactely the same.
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Harry,

I agree with both Deacon and Peter, the same whip-spring should fit both watches.

As a side-note, my theory on all the missing whip-springs is they may have been removed in order to swing the regulator beyond the limits of adjustment in order to avoid the expense of properly servicing the watch. Today we find it hard to understand let alone fully appreciate the financial constraints our forbearers faced.

Congratulations on saving your 972 as they are highly finished fine quality RR Grade movements.

Lindell

Wink

Here is the 972 number 1076408 from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Deacon, Peter and Lindell. I'm glad I have the extra 974's. I even have a 975 parts watch. Maybe I can get all three 972's running. The one I just got is running fine it just needs the regulator spring.

Lindell that is a very nice 972. Mine will never be that nice as it has a few scratch marks on the movement but it is a beautiful movement.

I just won another Hamilton off the bay. I hope it is what I think it is. The guy that sold it only had up a photo of the front of the movement. He listed the case number and not the movement number so I thought it was a 970 which I do not have. After contacting him to verify the number location and finding out it was the case number I asked for the movement number. If the number he sent me is correct it will be a 960. And if it is running as he said it was I'll get it for less than $200. So keep you fingers crossed for me.

Harry

IHC Member 1508
posted
That would indeed be a great find Harry. Good luck! Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
New ones are availavle from CasKer at;
http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product9080.html

"Hamilton 16s Pocket Watch Regulator W/Screw (039348)
Hamilton 16s pocket watch regulator w/screw #383C all models 954-956,961-978,990-994,992E, 996 #583041
SKU: Price
959.002.0049 $34.95

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Brad. I have my figures crossed.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dave. I did not know anyone sold new parts for these old watches. I'll take a look and see what else they have.

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Oooops, Dave I made a mistake. I have two running 972's. One in a gold plated case with regulator sring and one in a nickle case missing the regulator spring. And the two movements.

I also assume that all the 972's regulator springs were gun metal color unlike the 974 that some had the gold regulator spring and some had the gun metal color.