Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend dial "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This dial is on a watch I was watching on Ebay. The dial doesn't look right to me. Are the red numbers something that someone simply added to it?

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
They look hand painted to me.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The way they go over the South Bend trademark makes me thing they are hand painted & also where they go onto the second hand dial, since that is a seperate disc I don't think a factory would have done it that way.

Anyway that is my two cents.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Tom and Mark: I agree with you. The dial looks redone. the lettering is quite good but it just doesn't fit.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Perhaps someone who needed to have 24 hour time? (military). Did not want to get it wrong so had the numbers added?

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
The red hours are hand painted. Look at the like numbers, i.e. "2." They're all different. You can even see the brush marks.

They're were trainmen that had hand painted stuff on their watches all the time. Sometimes I was the purpatrator. I painted comic images of Spiro Agnew on a few Hamiltons in my day.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The way that 19 overlaps on to the hour tract makes me think of 24 hour numbers could be painted on the Crystal. This was done in western Canada by watch inspectors so the could be used in territory West of Lake Superior.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Nice dial Ernie. I found out that some numbers were hand painted when I cleaned up a nice Illinois dial on a Sangamo some years ago!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009