Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I'm curious about databases "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I was wondering if this is something that would work for other watches.

I often write down serial numbers and the information about watches I see on ebay that come close to my Pansy serial numbers so that one day I may be able to narrow it down to how many may have been made at one time for a Private Label like my Pansy.

Would this work for other watches?
Like other Private labels? Do you guys/gals do this to keep track.

Do you have any information about where this kind of thing really helps to know, if it will eventually show some of the ways they would deal with their custometrs?

I realize that this is a long time venture, and there are few Pansy's out there, but I like to keep track of the numbers.

So, do you do this? Will it reveal information?
Will it show the buying practices of the Companies that purchased the items, and will it be able to be used in a way that will help or meet a need of others?

Thank you,

PS You can pick up some weird habits when you become a collector huh?

PSS I know of the Private Label records that are kept by some, but do you keep track by number in the order they are in? By Serial Number?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
A definite yes! I keep track of serial numbers for four different private labels made by Waltham for the exact reasons you cite. I hope to be able to pin down total production of the various models this way. Many are in production runs listed only as assorted specials. I also try to record other movements that are adjacent but not the same label to infer the limits of the production. I keep track in serial number order and grouped according to production runs. The information can be very valuable for research purposes.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The Elgin data base includes information found on eBay. We have been keeping track of some military watches that way as well. It's an excellent tool. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jerry,
This is great, and the additional information is perfect too. I'm going to change my practice some, to include a little more data so that maybe I can understand the production runs too. I'm glad to know that it has not been all for nothing.

Greg,
I had used Waynes ebay data information before, but I really didn't get into this until I had to always look for certain Serial numbers all the time, and got familiar with them. Once I learned what the model looked like, and the grade and class, I started logging them just to try to find out how many Pansy's there may have been.

It got interesting from there. I felt it could be an excelent tool too, but wasn't sure.

It's nice to know that collecting all these numbers have some use to them.

Thank you guys, for the information!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004