• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newbie says 'hi' "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Lurker/new member here ... interested in collecting (and maybe eventually tinkering with?) RR grade pocket watches. I'm a newbie, reading all I can on teh interwebz and books. (Shugart/Ehrhardt). Recommendations always welcome!

Smile

DS

Posts: 51 | Location: New York City in the USA | Registered: October 07, 2011
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello and Welcome Doug....

You have come to the right place to learn everything you need for collecting and some ideas to help with your tinkering....

I hope you have yourself a great time looking and reading all you can here at IHC185, the research forums are the greatest anywhere on the web and some you can only find here....

Again, Welcome to IHC185, where the meeting never stops....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks Jerry!

Any advice on getting started tinkering? I have several concerns:

(1) Should I look to buy some random movements cheap and just expect to break them? Which ones?

(2) There are no classes anywhere close to me, so I'll likely have to do most of this myself. Read a book?

(3) Tools? I don't think I can convince my wife to put an ultrasonic cleaner in our bedroom, especially if it needs lighter fluid to work!!

Big Grin

DS

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Doug....

Start with number 1 if possible and get yourself some parts watches to start with....
Then follow this link,Chris Abel - Watch Repair Check List.... make a copy of it and start tinkering....

You should get yourself a set of tools to start with also....

There are watch repair classes available and you can check with some of our fellow watchmakers to find out where....I'm sure some will be along shortly....have patience....

Good Luck,

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Doug-

One thing that would probably help as much as anything would be to buy a cheap, running movement for about $30 off ebay and tear into it. I know this sounds funny, but take the watch apart completely, then try to reassemble it. pictures along the way while disassembling it may help you put it back together. if you can take it down, then put it back together, you're well on your way. if you run into problems along the way, there is plenty of people here to help out. Exactly where are you from doug?

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Thanks Jared, that's good advice. Is there a good beginning tool set I should look for? I've looked around a little and the choices and prices are intimidating. I've bought a couple of loupes but that's it so far.

I'm in NYC. I've made contact with a friendly local watch repair person but I don't want to take too much advantage of his good will!

DS

posted
Doug-

A hands puller (ebay has multiples of these for sale usually, a thin bladed knife (I bought a 3 pack of paring knives for it), a set of jewelers pliers (local craft store should have a kit with the three or four different styles of pliers), and a very good set of screw drivers. Do not skimp on the screw drivers. I was using some el cheapo ones for a while and my father bought me a antique set of jewelers screw drivers made by Algren for christmas this last year. You would not believe the difference in the quality and strength of the screw drivers. I have only had to resharpen one screw driver over the last ten months, compared to having to do it all the time with the el cheapo ones. Those items should get you the basics for tearing one down. after that a good staking set and lathe would be the next step.

You may want to also check with the local jeweler you know. He may have some extras he would be willing to sell to you at a good price.

Jared

posted
I agree Jared el chepo tools don't get you very far and only will frustrate you. Keep an eye out for quality. The Watch guide which I think you mentioned is also a great source of information for identifying parts, functionality and makers. I tend to buy a new one every year and keep one handy at home and work. Eventually I pass them on to those who show interest. Lastly, Don't be afraid to ask questions everyone here is always eager to help in any way they can.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
Hi Jared and thanks again. I'm looking around and the options are bewildering. There seem to be a variety of different hands pullers. I'd need one for pocket watches. Will the more common one (which I think is for wrist watches) work?

I also see a lot of different pliers of all shapes and sizes, and tweezers as well ... no idea which would be most useful.

People seem to be on about Bergeon screw drivers too; expensive but I certainly hear what you're saying.

Wow ... !

DS

posted
Doug-

These are the basic tools on my bench (My bench currently is an antique walnut desk that has a 4" back and sides). From left to right is:
1.) jewelers screwdrivers
2.) Pliers (this set should be available at the local hobby shop)
a)Flat
b)Rounded
c)needle noze
d)side cutters
3.) a good pair of tweezers
4.) multi-size winding tool
5.) magnifying lense
6.) stem remover
7.) Balance screw removers/holders
8.) hands remover
9.) small hammer
10.) fine stone

While there is a vast array of tools to use, these will get you the basics covered. I do not have my knife shown, but again a good, thin bladed paring knife works for me.

I also have a de-magnitizer, staking set, ulrasonic cleaning machine, and a truing caliper. I am working on getting a lathe, but currently do not have one here.

posted
You should get multiples of those and put sets of them together in shrink wrap for the newbies!

Big Grin

DS

posted
A good set of screwdrivers is a must
A set of tweezers
A case opening knife

At least thats how I started,and still adding to the kit as the need arises.

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
posted
I've looked around and while most of the tools are pretty easy to find, the bench key (I think that's what one of those things is) and sleeve wrench (stem remover?) seem harder to find, or if I can find them they are quite expensive. Also it looks like there are different ones and I don't want to go buying one without knowing if I'm getting the one I might need.

Are these tools I can wait on until later? In particular I'm concerned about the bench key. Do I have to find a way to let down the mainspring before I start mucking with a pocket watch? Some of the older ones it isn't clear to me how to go about that.

DS

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 Doug! I can see you've already gotten some good advice.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The starter sets listed here are already pretty good from what I can read here. One thing I would mention is try to stay away from super hard surfaces. When I first started I did not use a movement holder and was in the kitchen working over a granite countertop, and I will be the first to say BAD IDEA, but because of that I learned how to replace my first balance staff on a 992B Smile I now work over a large handkerchief, in a well it place, not on granite, and lower to the ground as the handkerchief will catch those small screws you drop and not let them bounce too far as well as give you a bit of a buffer should you drop something.

Once you start getting into replacing roller jewels, consider using a large plastic bag to do your work in. Nothing is more exciting than seeing the last roller jewel you have spring from your tweezers like a flea to a new dog.

You will also find there are many ways to do things, be open to suggestions and take what you can and use what works best for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of pocket watches!

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
If you use a Photo tent to take pictures you can also use it to work in as any thing dropped or spit out by the tweezers will be caught in the tent.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Thanks guys. These are definitely things to consider for the future.

DS