• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Standard 16 Size, 11 Jewel or 17? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is an odd duck. Ratchet show Hudson & USA. Ratchet & crown wheel are fake. Is this really a 17 jewel or 11 jewel Standard? Hard to tell from the marking but the center wheel is jeweled. I have not taken this movement down to check the jeweling.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
dial

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Hey Ernest, That is a New York Standard. The ratchet wheels are fake. Notice it does not have a click.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's a very interesting watch Ernest!

My first question would be whether or not the "winding wheels" turn while the watch is being wound. And since there appears to be center jewel it would be worthwhile to see if it is jeweled on the dial side, I cannot help but wonder about the jeweling arrangement and actual jewel-count. But except to satisfy curiosity that may not be unnecessary because in your movement image the "17" looks like it may have been "11" and some amateur "engraver" tried to change the numbers.

Following-up on what Cecil posted, check pages 230-231 of the 2011 "Complete Guide to Watches" and notice the "Remington Watch Co." image on page 230 as well as the page 231 "Remington Watch Co." listing. The picture of that "Remington Watch Co." movement looks very much like yours, apparently the same style of crosshatch damaskeening on plates with stripes on the balance bridge and you will see the "Remington" references on both pages mention an "11-Jewel" movement.

Researching your watch also helped answer a question from IHC Member Jimmy Tower who called me the other day about a "Remington" he had recently purchased. Until today I was unable to respond coherently to Jimmy's question, but now it looks like we may have made some progress on that one as well.

And so there's a "something new" that I learned today!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Ernest,

Recently I called IHC and I talked to Lindell. I asked him does he know anything about a Remington Watch Co. Today when I again heard from him he told me about your watch, and I couldn't believe that the mechanical of your watch looks the same as mine. Mine is definitely marked 11 Jewels.

Jimmy

Posts: 34 | Location: Hilton Head, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 26, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted

Posts: 34 | Location: Hilton Head, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 26, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted