Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B "Click" to Login or Register 
<Dale Farnsworth>
posted
I have a Hamilton Railway Special S#C461426, I was told it was a porcelain double sunk montgomery dial. Also it's signed on the inside of the back cover, 10K rolled plate gold.
I've been challanged that the dial is melanine and rolled gold is inferior to gold filled.
Would someone explain the difference in the these two areas relative to this watch.
Thanks
Dale Farnsworth

posted
if the dial has been changed from a melamine to a porcelain, or has a 'porcelain' replacement dial on it..... watches in this time frame seem to have been furnished with melamine from the factory .. and there have been fifty years for this to have been changed...

images will help....

usually RGP gold thickness is a 'bit' thinner that gold filled... we are talking thousanths of an inch here...... but in a certain time frame, RGP was all you could get in a certain case style...

in some other discussions we have spoken about gold filled quality... these discussions contain some links to information....

the discussions are found with the FIND command at the top of the page...