WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    How can you tell if a Hamilton case is gold filled, plated or solid gold?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How can you tell if a Hamilton case is gold filled, plated or solid gold? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
How can you tell if a Hamilton 12s case is gold plated, filled or solid gold? I have a photo attached of the markings. Thanks...
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I use the "Find or Search" box on the main page. I entered "permanent case", here are the results :

"permanent case"

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Harry;"PERMANENT" was a degree of gold filled in between 25 year and solid gold,so it was gold filled thick enough that it was guaranteed to never in normal use wear through!!!! Hence the name "PERMANENT" Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Buster and Tom. I had never seen that marking on a case before and I did not realize it was a common marking like warranted 20 years etc...

I use the search and find a lot but usually come up with nothing. Once I figure out what the key words are that I need to look up I'm sure I will have a lot more success.

Thanks again,
Harry

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
"COMMON" is not the word for "PERMANENT" cases as in my experience they are scarcer than karat gold,though not as valuable Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Tom for the clarification. The reason I ask is that I will be auctioning off a Hamilton 12s watch and I did not know how to list the case.
Thanks again.
Harry