Internet Horology Club 185
How can you tell if a Hamilton case is gold filled, plated or solid gold?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/9283956667

October 11, 2011, 18:45
Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
How can you tell if a Hamilton case is gold filled, plated or solid gold?
How can you tell if a Hamilton 12s case is gold plated, filled or solid gold? I have a photo attached of the markings. Thanks...
Harry

October 11, 2011, 19:19
Buster Beck
I use the "Find or Search" box on the main page. I entered "permanent case", here are the results :

"permanent case"

regards,
bb
October 11, 2011, 19:19
Tom Brunton
hi Harry;"PERMANENT" was a degree of gold filled in between 25 year and solid gold,so it was gold filled thick enough that it was guaranteed to never in normal use wear through!!!! Hence the name "PERMANENT" Big Grin
October 11, 2011, 19:55
Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
Thank you Buster and Tom. I had never seen that marking on a case before and I did not realize it was a common marking like warranted 20 years etc...

I use the search and find a lot but usually come up with nothing. Once I figure out what the key words are that I need to look up I'm sure I will have a lot more success.

Thanks again,
Harry
October 11, 2011, 19:58
Tom Brunton
"COMMON" is not the word for "PERMANENT" cases as in my experience they are scarcer than karat gold,though not as valuable Wink
October 11, 2011, 20:20
Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
Thank you Tom for the clarification. The reason I ask is that I will be auctioning off a Hamilton 12s watch and I did not know how to list the case.
Thanks again.
Harry