Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Box Hinges "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Do box hinges provide any structural advantage(s) or are they purely decorative?

Stu

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
Iam not an expert on this subject but I've been lucky enough to own a few of these , they are realy nice looking cases , I 've looked close at them and then compaired it to the other hinges ,I would say that it's more for looks than anything , It would be interesting to see if anyone that knows more will respond .

( ken ) & Douglas

Posts: 33 | Location: Yorba Linda, California USA | Registered: March 13, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I looked at my cases too and would have to agree with Ken. Probably the most critical part is the hinge area of the covers. This area seems to be the same as on regular cases. However, the box hinge does seem to have longer case frame hinges and hinge pins.

One thing for sure, all of my box hinge cases do open to 90 degrees and no further. So maybe there is something we don't see.

They are cases that do make a statement!

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The boxed-hinge case shown below is a good illustration of how the box protects the hinges from wear and potential damage. John's explanation of boxed-hinge cases exhibiting less hinge wear has been my experience as well. The one below is silver, but look how well it has held up.

Boxed-Hinge Cases look tough and they really stand up to wear...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here's a real "boxed-hinge-beauty" that has held up rather well...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I don't think I've ever seen an open-face box-hinged case before.

Since open faced cases aren't as frequently opened as hunters, the existence of an open-face box-hinged case almost seems to negate the notion that the style was a product of the hinge design.

Personally, I think it's just a "fancy" style, with little (if any) mechanical purpose, but I might be wrong.

===============

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002