Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Boxed 4992B "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thougth I would show this off, just finished servicing it (one of my own finds). Had many of these in the past but never a boxed one, and mostly the ones I have seen are in the blue steel tins, how common are these wood boxed verisons?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Chris,

That is awesome Big Grin I am going to presume that extra gear ourside the plates is for the seconds sweep to be in the center of the movement.

I am going to also presume that the hour hand makes one full rotation in 24 hours. I am curious, what gears do they manipulate to do that?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve,

Yes that’s the center sweep, I believe after the war, Hamilton sold conversion kits. They consisted of a minute and hour wheel to convert the movement to 12 hours also a dial and case back.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Chris, Great watch, I suspect by the overall looks of it that you had a easy time with your 16 point clean and lube and only a small "kick in the knickers" to get it up to par.
Steve, Three parts (generally Roll Eyes) govern the ratios of Hour wheel to Minute hand cycles. To make any "hours" ratio desired the manufacturer adjusts the "leaf and/or tooth count" of the Cannon Pinion (#1), the setting pinion (#2) and hour wheel (#3). This establishes the ratio of turns of the minute (#1 cannon pinion) staff makes to cause a full 360 deg. rotation of the hour wheel by the desired 12 or 24 times (hours) to 1. The movement pictured is a somewhat rare Elgin, but there are only small difference betrween these parts and the Hamiltons.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Dave,

Thanks for clarifying that.....I see it now. I have never owned one like this. Did Illinois ever make them like that?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Here's another "boxed" 4992

http://cgi.ebay.com/hamilton-4...7C293%3A1%7C294%3A25

closes in 3 days, might be a good deal!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve, as far as I know, only Hamilton and Elgin Made these, maybe Waltham . . .

Then of course there's the Longines (a different League, I can assure you)

posted
That Longines sure is a cool watch. I looked some for one with little luck but don't think I could have afforded it over a 4992B. I had just bought a 4992B with the Silver case finished 4/30/1943. It should be ariving Wednesday...

Chris your is a REAL nice example of the 4992B! I love the wood box they were first used with. The guy at the NAWCC Library did not have a date for when they moved from Wood to Metal. Yours is a really good deal for who ever buys it. The repo wood boxes are $150.

Posts: 32 | Location: Issaquah, Washington in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2009