• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"all y'all rock!" (IHC Rocks) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just want to say, as a new member and VERY inexperienced watch collector , that this forum is the most amazing resource and community. I have already learned so much, and received considerable help. And it is much nicer buying watches from folks here than on eBay!

I am from the UK and find the American railroad watches to be amazing pieces of mechanical engineering as well as, in most cases, amazingly beautiful. I really wish I had got into collecting them earlier (like around 1900!)

Hopefully I have not made TOO many mistakes in my purchases so far. I am finding it almost as fascinating buying the vintage tools as the vintage watches too! I do cowboy action shooting competitions too, and the other old timers are always fascinated by the period watches I add to my costume!

Thanks to all with whom I have had contact so far - you guys rock.

Bob Walder

Posts: 152 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: February 18, 2016
posted
Sorry... I meant to say "all y'all rock!" Wink

Bob Walder

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Glad to have you here Bob.

Whenever you happen to say something other than what you meant to say (and it happens often) there is a little eraser icon bottom right of your posts.

Just click on it to edit the post and say what you meant to say. Smile

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Welcome indeed, Bob . . . and as a cowboy action shooter, all the more welcome. The world was a much nicer place with cowboys and watchmakers as the go-to folks in the community. Now people that like guns and watches are looked upon by our pop-culture generation of entertainment addicted people as some archaic relics of a barberous past. In my 76th year now, I must confess that I am not so much enamoured with the future, as I am deeply appreciative for our admirable past. Great to have you with us, and a long ride for IHC185.

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
IHC Member 1357
posted
Bob the cowboy action shooting fascinates me! Many
years ago I competed in a few small ones. My favorite rifle was a Winchester Model 1873 38-40 caliber. Wish I still had it. The watches would add
a lot to your dress.

Regards
Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Welcome Bob!

Your cowboy action shooting story brings me WAY back to when I was a young boy and played in homemade civil war movies. I can still remember taking a 30/30 shell full of powder and pouring it down the barrel, and then packing paper down the barrel with the ramrod, putting the cap under the hammer and (BOOM!!) as the fire came out of the end of the barrel! Great memories!!

You will find great people here, who are more than happy to answer any and all of questions! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Bob welcome from wild Arizona cowboy who grew up in Poland watching Bonanza and Little house on the Prairie.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Welcome and enjoy "Rock'in" with us . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks guys. I shoot a Winchester 1873, a pair of beautiful engraved Colt SAA 1873 pistols and a good old side-by-side 18" barrel coach gun! And I usually carry my Waltham 1883 watch, which was manufactured in 1897 and is thus the closest in age to the guns I am shooting. Of course, if anyone has a really nice watch made in 1873 or earlier.... Smile

Bob Walder

IHC Member 1357
posted
Impressive Bob. I wish there were competitions near
me,not that I would compete, but would like to attend. Can't help you on the watch as the oldest
I have is a Elgin-Raymond-1880 and a Waltham Model
1857 made in 1876. Keep on Target Bob!

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Well Roger I guess y'all are about 3 hours from me pardner.... (hawk...spit....clang....) so head on down here one weekend (3rd Saturday of any month) and you can come shooting with the Tejas Caballeros (hawk...spit...clanngggg).

Seriously.... do it... it's good fun!

Bob Walder

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Thanks and we are glad you're member here also, and if you need some help were always here to help...
Regards paul

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Gotta love that someone has the sense of humor to change my original posting title.... Debbie? Lindell? Wink

Bob Walder

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Bob,

I came to California from Indiana a ways back but I didn't carry with me the severity of twang that was spoken by you Texans! HERE'S a little something for you!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Well like I said, I am from England originally, moved here in 2012, so I don't think my Texas twang is quite there yet! Wink

Bob Walder

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Bob,

I should read more and talk less but in any case, you're in Texas now! Texas

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1725
posted
Welcome Bob!!!

THANKS ALOT Will, now I want to pack-up and move to Texas Smile

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
posted
Well as the old bumper sticker goes "I wasn't born in Texas.... but I got here as quick as I could!"

Bob Walder