Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Collectibility of Presentation Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 935
posted
Are presentation watches a rational category for collecting? If so, and there are specific areas, I would appreciate knowing. From the little that I have seen, there seems to be a high premium for some presentation watches, but perhaps this is justified.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mortimer, I agree and think we should creat a "Honorable Watch Collector's Group" to record and preserve these very special presentantion time pieces.

I have several that are special to me, one is for an "on the job" lifesaver who was presented the watch by his employer with the story of his deed engraved on the Cuvette (sp?), and another that I wish could talk is this presentation by the St. Andrew's Ladies of "L", which I think had something to do with the Grand Trunk RR system connecting the US Northeast to CPR as I understand that St. Andrews, Que., was the railhead for that RR.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 935
posted
Dave, you are right on with your perspectives! And the watches you describe impress me as so meaningful. Thanks for confirming my hunch. Now, I shall look for presentation pieces too.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
WOW! I've got to jump in here.... Big Grin

This is the MEANING, to me anyway, of watch collecting. Think about it now, why did most of us start collecting....I received my maternal grandfather's old Elgin pocketwatch when he passed on nearly 40 years ago. That watch was a presentation watch to me, from my grandmother and that started me on my journey.

I agree with you, Dave & Mort, and I think it would be an excellent way to encourage watch collecting other than just buying and selling old watches. I think this club,IHC185, is the correct vehicle to accomplish this.

Let's look into what must be done in order to get something like this started. I have many presentation watches and love them all.

I had better get off this for now and let others voice their opinions as well.

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
By the way, this is the watch that started me collecting....not much to look at actually but has a great amount of attachment.
An old Elgin, 18s,7j, grade 73....I've never had it serviced so it sure could use a good COA...

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Bezel Removed

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member