Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois dial symbols??? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi!
This Illinois 16 s Bunn Special belongs to my brother.
Does anyone know what these symbols are? Maybe I can se a bleeding heart but that´s all.
Thank´s!

Illdial

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
And a more detailed pic.

Bernhard Schmidt

illförsto

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Bernhard,

The symbols on your brother's dial were not originally part of the dial. By that I mean they are not fired into the porcelain enamel as is the "Illinois" name and the numerals, but rather they were added later, yours look to be hand painted. This is often a delicate subject, and the following comments have to do only with the dial. The opinion stated is not meant to imply any disregard of or disrespect for religious beliefs, symbols and aids to worship.

From time to time we find similar corporate, fraternal or in this instance religious symbols on porcelain watch dials. The ones on your brother's watch dial include a cross, fire, crown of thorns, heart and blood. They are symbols of the Sacred Heart Society of the Roman Catholic Church. Such symbols when added to the dial are therefore not related to horological authenticity and that is my only perspective in commenting about them. In my opinion unless the watch-case has a religious inscription or the particular symbol is of personal religious significance it is a matter of the owner's choice as to whether or not they should remain. In other words, in deciding what to do one might wish to consider whether the additions to the dial are in harmony with inscriptions or other markings on the case.

Here's an example of what I mean. Not long ago I acquired a watch with what is apparently the original owner's name painted on the dial. The name on the dial also matches the initials artistically engraved on the 18K solid-gold case. In that instance with the dial addition matching the case there is strong justification to leave it all as found. After all one might argue, who am I to remove something that has been there for nearly one hundred twenty years? In that situation, the fact of the name on the dial matching the case engraving can be a major factor in the "go or stay" decision.

All that considered, whether the addition be a transfer or painted on it can be removed if that be the owner's choice. More often than not these additions come off during a normal dial cleaning process. Often they are water-based and once the dial is removed from the movement, try water-based dial cleaners first. A soft bristle tooth brush and some toothpaste works wonders and does no harm to the porcelain finish. If the emblem is lacquer or enamel-based any good fingernail polish remover will further help in removal. If here are hairlines on the dial use great caution in cleaning because the colors from the transfer may permanently fill hairlines. Use a soft cloth and soak the transfer with the nail polish remover as you rub it off. It may take several applications. Once you are satisfied with the result, carefully polish the dial with liquid automobile polish and buff with a soft cloth.

Again, the decision on removal of such transferred or painted additions should be carefully weighed since once they are gone, they are gone forever. For a related discussion, see the "Cleaning Watch Dials?" topic of a few months back.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Bernhard,

I cant really add any help with the significance of the bleeding heart's but would like to suggest that you leave the dial as is. Although not factory original, the additions are part of the "history" of the watch.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thank´s for the information Lindell, really helpful. My brother send a "thank you" aswell!
I must say that I feel a little extra about what mr Lucke says. The dial has looked like that for prbably quite a long time and it´s somehow a part of the history of the watch. If a watch have some kind of marks from a historical era, or person or organisation I can find it quite interesting to learn more about it and it gives more life to the watch.
Thank´s again!

Bernhard Schmidt