Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham model 88 cases "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Waltham was one of the greatest watch companies of all time, they pretty much started the U.S. watchmaking industry.They were way ahead of their time in so many ways.But they made a giant mistake with the 16+ size model 1888.It is such a beautiful high grade movement, but for whatever reason they made it odd size, and to make matters worse, threw in a detent stem, and only one case screw.There are many ,many nice movements around today, but practically no cases to put them in.Were they originally factory cased? I've seen all kinds of ads for watch cases from all the major case companies, but never saw an ad for cases made to fit 88 models. I know a lot of them, if not most, were scrapped for the gold, which must be why there are so many loose movements.Some of them would have made great Railroad watches, but since none were lever set,they couldn't be approved.A nice cased all original model 88 would be sure be a nice watch to own!

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Ted they took a special case as y'all elude to and so yes they were sold cased because they were an odd size. Yes a mvmt could be bought but to go in an existing old case. Many were scrapped over the years and they are hard to find today just as the early detent stem Hamilton's and the doctors watches from Elgin. Early models had slightly larger pillar plates and some were a bit thicker also.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
The model 88 movement had a steady pin on its side opposite the case screw that would be inserted into the corresponding hole in the (original) case, thus the need for only one case screw. Extra cases in gold filled were available as replacements into the early 1900s: most I've seen have the Crescent Watch Case Co. trademark. Waltham model 88 was the last "16" size movement to use a rivet staff.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Bill,doesn't seem to be much interest in '88 models, they were a sharp looking movement!Too bad about the cases for them, so few and far between!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Others may not be interested in Model 1888s, but I am. I have five.

The lowest grade of these five is this Am'n Watch Co. grade hunter in a fancy 14k Roy case. Pat Caruso, who headed Waltham's Experimental Section, installed a Cole's Resilient Escapement in this watch. Hence, the watch isn't quite kosher, but it is beautiful and interesting.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
It isn't clear that the top grade Model 1888 was the American Watch Co. Grade. Some think the Riverside Maximus was the top grade. I have two of them. One is this open-face example in a 14k A.W.C.Co.case.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The other is this Riverside Maximus hunter in a 14k Hayden Wheeler case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The American Watch Co. grade Model 1888s came in 17, 19, and 21 jewel versions. I do not have a 17 jewel version -- I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Here's my 19 jewel American Watch Co. grade Model 1888, which is in a 14k Roberts & Foster case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Only about 100 21 jewel American Watch Co. grade Model 1888s were made. My example is an open-face watch in an 18k K&B case.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for sharing those Ethan, you have a beautiful collection! The only one I have is a 15 jewel Riverside hunter movement, uncased of course.It is a sharp looking adjusted movement ,nice finish and damaskeening. I'll find a case for it someday.Thanks again, Ted.

IHC Member 1338
posted
Ted;

Like Ethan, I have some 19 and 21 Jewel 1888 watches. I call them a "poor mans" Model 1872, as they can be had much cheaper than the cooresponding 1872 models.

Unfortunately as you probably already know, the only way to get a case for one at a fairly reasonable price is to buy a complete watch. What few empty cases I've seen fs go much higher for some reason. You can get a complete 7-15 jewel watch in a good case for as little as 150 if you're patient. That two tone Riverside is worth casing, I have one just like that I bought another complete watch to get the case for it. I have it, an American Watch Co 19J Hunter and a 21J Riverside Maximus open face, I sold the rest.

The dial on these hi grade American Watch Co. Model 1888 19 and 21 Jewel watches is almost impossible to find as well. I have seen several with fancy dials on them instead (maybe an option oir customers choice?) I bought an entire movement to get it too. But it was worth it. One of my favorite dials of all time.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Tom, that is a nice watch!That's a keeper, I like that dial too.You don't see one like that very often.Take care, Ted.

posted
Because production of the model 88 extended through the 1890s and into the first few years of the 1900s, these were the early "railroad" years, so some very unique railroad marked 88's can be found, so I look at every one I run into, just in case. A few years ago I acquired one marked "Oregon Short Line", a 17 jewel open face model with the "Railroader" (M1892) damaskeening. I got a good price for it, but wish I still had it. Also, the model 88, along with the 18 size model 83, got the lion's share of fancy dials, thus all my fancy Waltham dials are on model 88s.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004