WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

For the Elgin experts- what is odd about this watch?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I thought I would toss this out there to see if the Elgin experts can spot what is wrong?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
While I love Elgins, I am far from and expert. Let me take a stab. Its marked Adjusted to 3 Positions instead of 4.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Claude,
I dont know if it is wrong or not, but mine from the same run, 17015381, says adjusted 4 positions.
The elgin data base says they are all adjusted 4 positions.
Nice watch! Looks great to me!

Steve

Hey Jim you beat me to it!You posted while I was typing.

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
Is the balance cock correct?

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
posted
Jim and Steven are both correct, Elgin made 5 runs of 1000 for the grade 342, the first run was only marked Adjusted and there was a few years gap before the later runs but runs 2-5 should be marked Adjusted 4 Positions. The balance cock is correct, run 1 had some design in the area between the micro-adjuster and the jewel but runs 2-5 look like this one.

I have one of each run and this is the first one I have seen adjusted 3 positions. I guess it was friday and the person figured 3 is enough for this one, Charlie's bar is waiting. I was the only bidder, nice watch with a nice Empress coin-edged case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As part of the first 1,000 made, mebbe they did 3 adj furst. Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
That might be the case if it was the first run but this watch is 925 of 1000 of the 2nd run. If it was early the 2nd run I would think that would be also possible but since this one is very late in the run I think the person putting the marking on was running late for the bar.

This is an example of the first run.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Whatever. You go to Charlie's bar and I'll give you 100.00 for the watch.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I guess I was wrong on my other 2nd run it is also marked adjusted 3 positions. It appears that the first run was marked adjusted, run 2 marked adjusted 3 positions, and runs 3-5 marked adjusted 4 positions.

I had to pull them out and double check the markings and saw my memory is slipping a bit.