• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Canadian Ball Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been trying to piece this together from searching threads but finally decided just to ask the question.

From what I understand, there were import tariffs from the US to Canada so manufacturers would just sned movements across the border. (And the cases were made under contract in Canada?)

So for Ball watches for the CPR (to be sold in Canada), did they come in Ball marked cases? Or just Canadian made cases, etc.?

Any additional education (or direction to a thread that I did not find) on the import of US watches to Canada would be appreciated.

Jim

Posts: 67 | Location: Central Ohio in the USA | Registered: July 01, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
There was one on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-24...&hash=item23124daf11
If the link doesn't work search Canadian Ball pocket watch in completed listings

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Many of the railway grade moments shipped to Canada were cased in American Watch Case Co. cases of Toronto, Ontario, some case grades were Cashier a 25 year gold filled case, Fortune, & Empress gold filled cases, Sturdy-Derby a rolled gold case, Silveroid nickel case there were other companies including the Montréal Watch Case Co. of Montréal, Québec, that was in business until about 1912, Canadian Watch Case Co. of Montréal, Québec who Trademark was a Santa Claus style cap And the P.W. Ellis of Toronto, Ontario who made Alpha, Banner, Regal, and Sovereign cases.

First reported advertisement for the Webb C. Ball Watch Co. for the Winnipeg branch, shows located in the Dominion Bank Building, from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, May 1912. And from other research information I have it was the Canadian Division of the Webb C. Ball Co. of Chicago. I believe the 16 and 18 size "Balco" were manufactured in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks Larry. Were the Canadian Ball cases marked Ball?

And from what you wrote, Star Watch cases, as an example, were not produced in Canada?

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 67 | Location: Central Ohio in the USA | Registered: July 01, 2011
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Jim:

Here is a photo of an 18 size Canadian Ball Watch Case Co. Ltd. - Winnipeg case with the "Balco" trademark. The Star Watch Case Co. was based in Ludington, Michigan

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002