• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Wm. McKinley "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I wanted a Hampden RR grade watch and after losing a few, both 16 and 18s, I won this one. I like it a lot and I know it's almost certainly a recase since it dates from 1913 but I really don't care. I like the way it looks but if anyone sees any more authenticity issues feel free to comment. I do wonder whether the seconds hand is missing the back part or not.

Montgomery dial

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
Movement-- I really like the Hampden damaskeening.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
Yours is a model 4 McKinley, same as the 105 just a different name. Looks to be in good condition. You will find this model marked "adjusted" or "A5P". Dial looks good but the second hand is not quite right. I have a few of these, they are great time keepers and well worth picking up.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
I saw in the "fat book" where the ones just marked as adjusted are scarce with only 50 known to be made.This one says adjusted to 5 positions.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Nice looking watch.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Hi Donald,
Where did you see that in the fat book ?

Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
In the latest book, there is a section about scarce 21 and 23j 16s Hampdens. It's on page 250. I could scan the page and post it if you have an older book and the section is not in it.

posted
Thanks Don,
I had heard that before, in fact there was a large discussion on these watches a few years ago here, but I had not seen anything in print.
I am fortunate enough to have one of the scarce ones.
Thanks again,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
I don't have my model 4's available but I would wonder about only 50 being marked "Adjusted". I have this one and the 105 and some are A5P and some are marked Adjusted, Hampden would have been like Elgin, Waltham and others where around a certain time "Adjusted" was ok and as the RR rules changed " Adjusted" with the number of positions was necessary.

I thought I had one that was only marked "Adjusted" but mine is a bit of an oddball, it does not have a McKinley or No 105 marking. It is a 21j 16s marked Adjusted and most decoders show it to be a 105.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Don,
Here is my Wm McKinley, only marked adjusted. Not as nice as yours, pretty washed out, not sure about the rarity.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi, You have a nice example of the 4th model 16 size Hampden. Very nice lettering. The dial is correct for the time period and the hour and minute hands look original but the seconds hand has been clipped. Something fairly common on the thin seconds hand in my experience. The Montgomery dial is less common on Hampdens, again in my experience, and a nice touch. Personally I doubt that only 50 examples of the adjusted marking are known and I agree with Claude that Hampden would have done what the other makers did. The other point worth considering is that John C Dueber was not known for wasting money. In my part of the country Hampdens were popular because they were good value for the money and seem to have been fairly rugged timekeepers as farm sales often have them even today.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
You hear such mis-information on Hampden that it is silly, stuff like they used worn out dies, produced junk, so on and so forth.

If you look at Hampden and Hamilton production, Hamilton produced ~2,200,000 watches from 1893 to 1927. Hampden produced 3,980,000-865,000(made prior to 1893) for a total of ~3,115,000 which is about 33% more watches in the same period of time. They sold watches in the same basic market as far as pricing is concerned. In 1917 the McKinley/105/JC Dueber were $34.20,the 19j Railway was $30 in 1916 from the Hamilton red book the 992 was $32.50 and the 19j 996 was $28.50.
In a time frame when $30 was boat load of money people are not going to buy junk for over a half century of time.

Before all the Hamilton people jump in, this isn't a knock against Hamilton but it is to point out that Hampdens get no respect, would I put a model 5 Hampden against a 992B, not really since it isn't fair but I would not have any issues with putting a model 5 21 or 19j Hampden against the same vintage (year) 992/996, since at that time they would be still using non invar type balances or hairsprings.

Picture of Clark Reed
posted
I believe Hampden made the first 23 Jewel movements of any American watchmaker, with the 18 size Special Railway model.

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Clark they made the first 16s 23j. Aren't jewel wars fun!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1247
posted
I just ordered a 105 Hampden from Barry Hanstein a day before this post...Thanks to all for this info
on hampdens

Mark

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
posted
From everything I have read, in the period from 1890-1925, Hampden RR grade watches were very competitive with and of equal quality as the competing products from Illinois, Hamilton, Waltham, and Elgin. Aesthetically speaking, I think they beat them all.

posted
I dabble into Hampdens and have 18 and 16 size RR grades and a few that are not RR grade but I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my Elgins. In regards to understanding of Hampdens I don't think many can hang with Deacon.

I find them to be excellent value for the dollar as a collector, and the model 5's were an improvement over the model 4, although I find the model 4 to be the "eye-candy" winner of the two.