• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Model 1892 Crescent Street "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hey Guys/Gals, I have a problem,well actually a couple of problems with an 18 size 21 jewel Waltham Crescent Street model 1892. I don't have much experience with this model Waltham,and I have been working with this watch for about a year now,getting the parts that I needed to make it work. Finally located a fourth wheel,the last part I needed. First the dial. I can't remember if it had a dial when I got it,if it did,I can't find it. A 16 size dial fits right on and everything lines up perfectly,except of corse it is too small diameter. So,I need a dial. Next the plates are two different heights,meaning the mainspring bridge is higher than the balance bridge. There are two different lengths screws for the plates,and one would assume the shorter ones would go on the lower bridge,but when I put the shorter screws on the balance bridge,they tighten up and look right but the bridge is still loose. If I use the longer screws on the lower balance bridge they tighten up and hold the bridge securely,but the screws stick up above the bridge,and the shorter screws go down inside the taller mainspring bridge. Something just ain't right and although it is together and running good,this thing with the screws is just not right. Anyone have a good picture of the back of a movement like this? I still have some work to do. Have to find the correct case screws,and clean the case,but my present problem is the movement screws and the dial.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Happy New Year Cecil.Loks like you'll end up with a nice Crescent St. when you're done...There's a good "92 model website, I don't know if you've seen it.If you type Waltham model 1892, it should come up.There's a lot of good info, pics, and a material list on it.Looks like you need a new click also.I think a '08 model 16s click might be the same.Good luck, Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Cecil

I have a similar watch with a broken balance staff. I pulled a screw from each plate & photographed them.

This 1st one is from the mainspring bridge, the raised one, if you notice it has a very long head, the scale is MM.

screw01

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is a screw from the bottom (lower) plate, it has a shorter head.

If you need photos of any other parts let me know & I can take this one apart.

Tom

screw02

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is the movement

move

posted
Hey Tom, I have the same screws in my movement. Problem is when I put the short ones in the lower plate,they will not secure the plate. They tighten up just fine,but the plate will still move up and down a few thousands of an inch. If your watch is a single roller balance,I have a good balance assembly in this parts movement. It is missing all the screws,and a lot of other parts,but the balance is perfect. Let me know if you can use it. I'm gonna go pull some more hair out trying to figure this screw(y)thing out. Cecil

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Cecil, sounds like your screws are bottoming out in the threads, you could file a little off the thread end of the screw to make sure the head is pulling the plate down tight.I just changed the dial on my 21J Vanguard, so I have a dial, if you haven't already found one.....Ted B.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Cecil

Thanks for the offer, I just pulled the balance on mine & it is a double roller.

I have a drawer full of 21 jewel movements & cases that I have been going to post for sale here. I have given up trying to fix balance staffs etc. I seem to cause more problems than I fix.

Thanks again for the offer.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom, I am looking for a model 92 OF dial and 4th wheel, If you have those I will restaff two of your 16 or 18 suze broken staff watches in trade. e-mail me a list of those at: david@glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hey Ted, It's funny,in my younger days I might have thought of that,the screws bottoming out. But, I just checked,and the screw holes go all the way through. Nothing to bottom out on. I'm gonna take it all apart again,and try putting just the bare plates together and see if I can figure this out. It really doesn't make any sense,and seems like someone with my "able to fix anything" ability should be able to handle a "simple problem" like this.

Yes I can sure use the dial. I have looked everywhere for mine,but it has been over a year since I have seen it,if I ever even had one. All the parts were in a container together,so I am assuming that I didn't get one with this watch. You can email me with the details for the dial,or just tell me here. Thanks

Tom,It took many failures before I got so I could replace a staff,but now it is pretty simple. I still mess up every once in a while,but it is all part of the "fun" of watch collecting. My Crescent Street has the correct click,but it is blue instead of chrome. It looks rusty in the photo,but it is actually just blue. I'll keep an eye out for your movements,and try to get a couple when you put them up for sale.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David, I will go through what I have & email you.

Cecil
Sometimes I just get frustrated with my big hands, I can't seem to hold anything correct, but then there are the rare occasions that I replace a staff like I was a born watchmaker. Unfortunately those times are rare.

Tom

posted
David,If Tom doesn't have one,the fourth wheel in this Bartlett model 92 movement is good,and you are welcome to it. There are not enough parts left in this movement to try to get it going. It is missing the mainspring and barrel,and the pallet pinion is broken,and most of the winding parts are missing,along with all the screws. But,the other gears,are good,the plates are clean and all match,and it has a good balance assembly.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Cecil, I sent you an email about the dial....Ted.

posted
I was fortunate enough to pick up a parts set for the 1892 Waltham. I have a lot of the parts including many pallet fork pinions. If you have a certain part you need, just send me an email. Pallet forks and Fourth wheels are the hard parts and I do not have any of them currently. It's definately helped me put together 3-4 watches and would be happy to help out others in doing the same.

Thanks,

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
I have several 4th wheels (all from Appleton/Tracy '92 models) as well as a hairline free railroad dial. Anyone still interested: $100 for dial, $25 for 4th wheels.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Cecil, I sent the dial out today, so you can watch out for it.Sorry I didn't get it sent sooner.Just let me know when it gets there, so I 'll know it got there Ok.....Ted .

posted
Thanks Ted. I finally sorted out the problem with the screws. Works better when you put the correct ones in. I thought it odd that the click and the balance bridge screw were blue and all the other screws that I was trying to put in were chrome. Well, I found a plastic bag,in a drawer with all the blue screws,and the hands,and hour and minute wheels for the watch. The silver screws that I was trying to put in,go for the 17 jewel Bartlett movement. That's what happens when something is taken apart and a year passes before being put back together. The memory fails,and the parts get separated. Looking forward to getting the dial. Got the case all cleaned and polished,and all the parts together,finally. Will put up a picture when it is finished.

IHC Member 1110
posted
That's going to be a pretty nice Crescent St. Cecil!I just saw one for sale on a dealer's site the other day, it was a private label from a Jacksonville Fla. jeweler.The odd thing about it was, it had the 1883 model type script lettered "Crescent St." name below the jeweler name.Never seen one like that!....Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hey Cecil, Are you still going to post a picture of it, I'm dying to see how it came out...can't get enough 1892 model pics!Thanks again...Ted.

posted
Hey Ted,It is still a work in progress,but it is together,running,and keeping great time. I need to go through my hands and find a proper minute hand,but I know I have one. And this gold filled case may not stay if I land a nicer one.

posted
Here is a shot of the beautiful,flawless,double sunk,dial that you provided. A great finishing touch on a great old watch Thanks again.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Looking good Cecil!Nickel movements seem to always look better in gold filled cases.Really came out nice...Ted.

posted
Forgot to mention,for you guys with the great eyes,that always spot the things that I miss,yes the winding wheels are from a model 92,17 jewel PS Bartlett. One of the originals from this watch is badly tarnished,and when I find an original replacement,they will be replaced. Seems like all the different models of 92s have different designs on the winding wheels.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Cecil, On the Waltham model 1892 website, the show the different winding wheel patterns and which grades they were used on.It's a nice site!.....Ted.

posted
quote:
William Thomas
IHC Member 365

Hi Thomas,
iam searching a 4th wheel for my waltham appleton tracy 1892. Do you still have one for me?
I pay the price and ofcourse the shipping to germany.
You would make me very happy.
Greetings from here. Smile

Posts: 1 | Location: Frankfurt in Germany | Registered: March 06, 2012