Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Solid or Gold-Filled? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...would ask for confirmation of the 'mark' on this 6S Waltham HC...is it 14K solid or gold-filled?...thanks...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
It is gold.

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Jeff...your 'at-a-distance' assessment is confirmed by a feel & listen test that Lindell 'walked' me through over the landline this AM...Lindell first had me place my thumbs on the center/inside of the front/back and cuvette lids w/my index fingers placed opposite center/outside and had me 'feel' test for rigidity...had me compare that feel w/that on a 6S 'Cashier' 25GF HC case that I have and the difference in rigidity between the two was dramatic...the case shown here was much less rigid and much more supple than the GF 'Cashier'...also, the pitch of the sound of the lids closing on the two cases differed dramatically as well...thought that heavy 'buttery feel' and lack of brassing on an otherwise used/worn case was well founded...thanks much fellas!!!PS...the case front....

Jim
IHC#234

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...and back...

Jim
IHC#234

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Jim,
The case is not a Waltham.
It was made by the American Watch Case Co.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Brian, my reference should have read;- "confirmation of the 'mark on the hunter case for my Waltham 6S watch"...

Jim
IHC#234

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Brian,

Interesting point. Just how intertwined were the two companies? A lot of people expect Walthams to be in A.W.C.CO Cases as if it adds authenticity.

We have the same thing with South-Bend Watches and South-Bend Cases.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Jim,
Just passing to say that the case is beautiful, from a great lady I imagine..

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi,
How about a picture of the face of the watch.
The case is fantastic.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Lindell,
I believe the A.W.C.Co. American Watch Case Company was located in Canada. They made cases for Waltham but I think that was the only relationship.
The A.W.W.Co. Was Waltham as well as A.W.Co.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jim,
Thanks so much for sharing what Lindell passed on to you. GREAT! I did it with a couple of my watches and boy what a difference.
My Elgin Pansy is like a noodle compared to my other gold filled watchcases. lolol

I swear that I could always tell by the feel of the watch just holding it, but I'm so new at this, I still don't trust myself. Funny thing is, that I usually get it right!

Someone once mentioned in here, that you could tell by the smell of the watch, and I was too embarrassed to mention that I had done that too.

The weird things we do for the craft!!!

Lindell, Thanks for the tip!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Sheila,

As we handle more cases we develop a "feel" for their content. The "gold-filled" process is a layer of gold over hard brass, hence no "flexing" as we find in a gold case.

Carlos,

The beauty of these pieces often causes us to imagine the person who might have owned them in years past. Such things as that are always fascinating to contemplate.

Brian,

Sounds like placement of the periods make all the difference. Below an image of the mark on what I believe to be an originally cased "1872 Model" Waltham 16-Size.

So then is this one "American Waltham Watch Company"?...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sure is Lindell.
The C.Co. with the A.W. tells me, American Watch Case Co. and these were not made by Waltham.
Brian C.