Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

WOW!
Talk about uncommon and beautiful!

18S HAMILTON FANCY DIAL PRIVATE LABEL POCKET WATCH

Puttin' on my shades!
Cool

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I agree.

But, consider.... I bought this one at the Cleveland National, took it to the shop and fully serviced it. When it was done, one of the first persons that I showed it to, took a quick glance and said, "too gaudy."

Go figure..... Confused

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Girly watches. Razz

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
I really like these, girly or not. Wink

Seriously, that Elgin of Peter's reminds me of the blue faced and elaborate "Somewhere in Time" Hamilton I posted about under movie watches a while back.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Very nice examples guys. I like to think of these as the peacocks of the pocket watch world, something flashy that was sure to be noticed when the owner pulled it out to check the time, then and now.

That Hamilton 924 that Lin pointed to has an especially uncommon dial and quite a showy case too.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I really like those fancy dials...Here is another.

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
and it really neat when the movement side is done differently..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I try to come home from every large Regional with 2 or 3 of these gold lovlies. If you are careful, you can usually find some of these, selling for just a tad above their scrap value.

I do not invest in gold or precious metals per-se. But I do feel that the current market for gold-cases is so out-of-wack that these babies are, again, going to the smelter.

I don't know whether the price of gold is destined to go up or down, but I am reasonably sure that these gold-cased watches are going to become increasingly scarce.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi Guys. I wish to share with you pictures of the two dials that I have. I think you would injoy to see them. First one is Elgin 18 size and second one is Waltham 83 model. There is a link abouve the two photos for a large pictures. You can simply click on them. Thank you.
http://www.watch-art.com/ebaystaff/elgin1.jpg

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
This is the inner part of that dial. It is greatly decorated. It is hard to see but it is there. Thanks.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
This is the Waltham. Injoy.
http://www.watch-art.com/ebaystaff/waltham83.jpg

Sham Agayev, CMW

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Those are beautiful Sham! That first one is sometimes called a "telephone dial" because of the white circles around the hour numerals.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Sham,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Waltham 83 dial an O'Hara? It sure looks like the quality and design of the very popular O'Hara dials. I would really like to add a watch like this to my collection. If only to find one that isn't going to break the bank!

John

IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi John. When I purchased the watch from a very respected dealler, I was told that it was an O'Hara dial. But truely I have no way of knowing it for sure. I am not sure if it has anything under the dial. If there is a possibility of being something I could take it out and look at it. Thanks.

Sham Agayev, CMW

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Nice watches everone they are beautys..

John that,s beautiful 2 tone..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
O'Hara will be marked on the back of the dial as they say and I truely believe John is right that it is one. Gorgeous watches now I have to clean the drool off my keyboard. Big Grin

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Actually, most O'hara dials WON'T be signed. The dial above IS an O'hara. These dials have several "trademark" features to them that aren't found on copy cats. A signature on the back is great to have and they do show up from time to time but true O'hara collectors can identify the dials without having to look at the reverse.

I would advise extreme caution if you pull that dial. They are amazingly fragile and seem to fracture if you even look at them wrong.

I have seen perfect examples fetch over $1,000.00.

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

It does looks like another case-screw mark on Steve Campbell's item, but I tend to expect that on some of the older watches. Any way you slice it that one and all the others shown in this topic are outstanding.

On the O'Hara dials I too believe many were unsigned but the style is unmistakable.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002