• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

San Diego Regional "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Lots of empty tables and poor attendance. The low end was strong, under $100, after that very weak on high dollar items, I didn't sell any gold, the first time that has ever happened. The 5 of us had the usual mix of solid gold, RR's, better American and also the low end. As a low end show we all did very well, but the high end was very weak, unless it was a rip. Some finds I heard of were a 2 tone 939, A D and RG Special, with the right dial, an unused 992B with both boxes, A J Alfred Jurg. nickle high grade Chronometer, I 'm sure there were others, but there really wasn't a lot to pick from. I would say off 20-30% at least in terms of tables and attendance. The public was allowed in at 9 on Sat, I saw perhaps 20-30. Clock people has that look of depression and very few sales again unless it was low end or junk. No Europeans or Japanese buyers. I did about half what I normally would do, but in these days of the greatest lieing and rip off and smoke and mirrors of the fake financial world I will take it. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sorry I did not attend even though it was my chapter hosting, but last year when I brought my partner, we were out a hundred bucks just parking and going in. $30.00 a person at the front door makes for a poor start. After that my "loaner" Replica 14th century Sundial disappeared from the "educational exhibit" never to be seen again.

Basically, with IHC185, my local friends, my own little shops at home and office, the local swap meets and Garage sales, my hands are full anyway.

Now . . . if there was ANY INTELLECTUAL CAPABILITY on the part of anyone in NAWCC to accept the idea that it is easy to market and expand the hobby's future rather than be a museum of the past, that would make things very different!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
This was my first show and would agree with David the cost going in was steep! Registration, membership fee and early Thursday viewing (only day I could attend - additional $35). When all said $130 total. Despite the cost Mad I did meet some great people who were more than willing to answer my "rookie" questions. As Gene mentioned lots of gold and the fellow I was with tried to move a few gold pieces with no takers. Overall, disapponted did not buy anything.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008