Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Improved trip sign Burlington "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I bought a pretty cruddy looking Burlington Watch Co on eBay for $42.00 with little hope of being anything but being a parts watch. Then . . . The dial was restored by International Dial (another post on that), and after laboring through the Lancaster Dustproof today (another post), I went ahead and out of respect for the pretty dial cleaned up the 16s 21J Burlington W.Co. movement . . .
Every Jewel was flawless, and the train was smooth as silk! A few parts still required, but I have those at the shop . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So, $42.00 + $32.50 Dial Restoration and a couple hours time equals $74.50 and the watch looks like a "million"!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice looking watch Dave.

I could only locate one Preston Offill, he was born June 1860 in Kentucky.

This article is from the Nebraska State Journal, Lincoln Saturday November 11, 1939

Tom

obit

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hey David,
Some of my most prized watches are the ones that I rescued from the parts drawer,or as I call it "The Junkyard". I have several hundred watches,that were just thrown in the pile when I got them,because they looked very bad or needed a complete rebuild,and every once in a while when I'm out of things to work on,I go in there and pick out something and rescue it. It feels good.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Nice rescue David. They are well worth the time and effort.
With the help of three other member of IHC 185 I am in the process of rescuing another. I will post when the project is completed.
To me restoration is the most exciting aspect of watch collecting. They are like the "Phoenix" that rose from the ashes. (excuse the little bit of corn this morning!)

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Here's another neat enameled signature case that Burlington offered. I have a 12s 21j with blue enameled signature 'A. B. Campbell' on it's back cover.

VERY nice watch, David!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002