Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket Watch Case with screw down crown "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if any of you have ever come accross a pocket watch case like this one. It has a threaded pendent. The previous repairer put a giant crown on it from a modern watch to sort of fit over the threads. I'm wondering if I would ever find a threaded crown to fit it.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Hey Scott,
Cases that I have seen like this,have a usually brass part that threads onto the case,with a cork or fiber washer under it to seal out dust and water,and the crown fits over that part. If you thread a crown onto the case,you wouldn't be able to wind or set the watch. I'll try to put up a picture of the part I'm talking about. This is just an old case that I dug out of the pile but the part should look like this. This is it off the case.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
HI Scott, According to the little I know about cases,what screws in the thread is the dust cap seal that in your case seems to be missing. This cap has a hole in the center just big anough for the winding stem to go through.

The crown screws in the protruding end, and comes down to partially cover the cap.In some cases wear and dirt cause the crown to stick to the dust cap and the two (crown and cap)end up turning together during winding.

This causes the cap thread to strip, the cap to lose its function as a seal and ultimately to interfere whith the winding of the watch.

This is my explanation, of course I stand to be corrected...

Regards

Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
And here it is,on the case.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hey, Scott, I have the exact same case.Mine also was worked over .They filed off the threads for the crown.I have a crown that's a perfect fit, I just need to get a stem for it.These may have been made for military use, although it has a factory -done lever slot @ the usual 6 minutes.It is a sharp looking really rugged RR model case.Mine is an Illinois Watch Case Co., nickel, SN 626477....Regards, Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008