• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Official" Show us your Ephemera thread! Let's have fun! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
First, what is Ephemera? The dictionary says:

ephemera, items designed to be useful or important for only a short time, esp. pamphlets, notices, tickets, etc.

In the watch collecting world I've heard this term applied to signs, advertising material, fobs, pins, etc.

I'll start this out with my two favorite fob's. They're the same and one is better than the other. But they are correct, real, whatever and a great piece of ephemera for any South Bend collector.

So, anyone have anything they would like to share? Let's keep this thread growing. Anything interesting (at least to you), watch related and...

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Frank, it's amazing that I happened upon your post.

I was doing a search on Ebay and I found this cool item much like the one that you have posted above. I think that this went for a nominal amount....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-The-Stud...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Posts: 79 | Location: Kensington, Maryland USA | Registered: March 08, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Yes, those are the remakes. They're not bad at all. The printing isn't sharp but hey, it's just watch fob.

People have other watch stuff they collect?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Frank

I am always keeping an eye out when I go through antique stores etc. for stuff, really anything but I would love some signs. So far I think the only thing I have found that kind of fits in this group is one of these old Elgin parts displays. I have been planning on putting it in a glass frame so I can hang it on the wall.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
What I love about this Elgin Ad is, that I also have a metal engravers plate, that has the picture in this Ad on it.

Sheila

Elgin Bon Voyage

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I like this one because it's so unusual.
It's a card (salesman's?) with a picture of a watch case, and the information of a watch written on it. It says:

Works Elgin Nat'l Watch, Leader Movement, Case 1595, Works 432075, Back view of Case.

Sheila

Elgin432075-3

posted
What I love about this piece is, first, it's from the Jeweler that sold my Pansy Watches. However, it's a very early set of springs, and I know this because of other researched items I have found.

Of course, anything Lissauer is for me!

Sheila

Lissauer Eagle

posted
Showing the (like new) Springs.

Tom,
I just love your Elgin Parts display, it's wonderful!

Sheila

Lissauer Eagle2

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This 1941 Currier and Ives original framed Print distributed by Ball Watch Co. "takes me home" in many ways.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Since this started out with fob, I may as well share a few that I have picked up over the last 6 months. This first one is commemorating the opening of the Panama Canal. I guess San Diego was the first port-of-call for many ships after exiting the canal, so that is where the first expositon was.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This next fob surprised me when I first turned it over. On the front is the seal of the city of New York. The image of the back is in my next post.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the back. What the heck does Tip Top bread have to do with the official seal of NYC. Maybe there was a commerce convention??

IHC Life Member
posted
This next fob is of General Pershing, the WWI hero. I had some trouble trying to figure out why the 1939 date. As it turns out there was a train, a Zephyr Streamliner, that was named the General Pershing in 1939. The train was with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad. But that didn't solve the problem. There was still that American Legion logo on the bottom of the fob. As it turns out, the American Legion had their big convention in Chicago in 1939. A month after buying the fob, I gained more insight into this piece. On eBay I saw another one, but, low and behold, it was the bottom half of a cloth ribbon -- the type a military man would wear on his chest. Across the top of the ribbon was another metal bar and it said 21st Annual Convention. So, did they design the medal so it could easily be adapted for use as a fob, or is this really unqualified to be called a fob. Maybe I just own a commemorative medal that is missing half its components. Who knows?

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is my last fob. It commemorates the 1928 New York State Fair. I think it is an attractive design and well executed. Enjoy.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This one showed up with a Private label Illinois Hanging on it. I use it often.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I like this fob, both photo's are the same lady.

Sheila

Fob2=

posted
This side has a black stone with a soldier carved in it.

Sheila

Fob3

posted
Then their's the tigers eye stone

Sheila

Fob

posted
I picked up this book, written in 1904. Thought it would be great for watch adjusting information.

Charles Edgar Fritts

The Watch Adjusters Manual
A practual guide for the Watch and Chronometers Adjuster in making, springing, timing, and adjusting for Isochronism, Position and Temperature.

Third Edition

The Keystone Press

Sheila

Fitts 47.95

posted
another page

Sheila

Watch Book 47.95

posted
Here are three old watch parts boxes--probably real old.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
They are only about one and a half inches in diameter, and have fine threaded screw-on lids.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
The fine carving is very nice.

posted
Here is another parts box.

posted
There are little vials for small screws.

posted
...and a nice little balance wheel paper in the lid.

posted
Two old watch keys side one:

posted
Two old watch keys, side 2

posted
Two old railroad watch inspection cards

posted
A small Waltham advertisement printers' block

posted
Some old mainspring boxes

posted
Elgin mainspring box papers 1

posted
Elgin mainspring papers 2