Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Nice Find?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello again everyone;

Boy showing off new watches sure is fun. It also feels like bragging but I guess that's ok isn't it?

Anyway, I bought another one last night because it's actually a piece of my own history, and especially my wife's. My wife Judy was actually born here in Lindsay so that's why this watch is so close to us and especially, her.

As you can plainly see, the signature on the dial of this Waltham says, "G.W. Beall" and G.W. Beall was a jeweller here in Lindsay, Ontario, Canada for many years. I don't know the exact dates yet but I will find out more shortly. Here it is.

Oh, and it would seem that there was only 1000 of this Waltham mdel made. Another low production count, which is always nice, right?

One last thing, and if anyone can answer this I'd sure appreciate it. The seller says it watch just completely serviced and runs well and keeps good time. However, in the third photo down, does the hairspring appear to be a little odd with that one coil seemingly over the top of the others. Is that going to be a problem do you think?

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Member 456
posted
Hi Bud, very nice watch and dial!
The hairspring features a Breguet overcoil which is not a problem. It is designed that way to help eliminate positional errors. If you look at where the regulator pins are, you can see that is where the hairspring is "supposed to be". If the regulator were for a flat hairspring, the pins would be at the outermost coil.
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
posted
Hello Michael, and thanks for that information. Because I know so little about such things I thought it may be a problem. I'm relieved to know it's something I don't have to fix. I appreciate the help, thank you.

Bud

quote:
Hi Bud, very nice watch and dial!
The hairspring features a Breguet overcoil which is not a problem. It is designed that way to help eliminate positional errors. If you look at where the regulator pins are, you can see that is where the hairspring is "supposed to be". If the regulator were for a flat hairspring, the pins would be at the outermost coil.
Mike

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010