• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1892 Waltham Dial Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Had a quick question. I happened to run across a 1892 Waltham Vanguard with the included dial. I guess i've seen some like it, but not too many. Is this a very hard dial to find? also it looks to be original, btu does anyone know if they made any newer replacement dials like this? thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is similar to Waltham's "Rail Road" dial.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I have seen that style appearing on perceived as original Waltham movements as low as the six millions and well into the first decade of the Twentieth Century, in fact the small seconds register on Jared's dial was very popular in the latter portion of that era. The movement number would help, but at first glance it looks right to me.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I went ahead and purchased the watch. Here is are some better pictures.

posted
Movement Pic First run OF Vanguard Smile

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Is that a NAWCO case?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed-

I think it is. I wasn't too interested in the case aspect. I will have to look for a more original one. I also have this vanguard movement I will be restoring one of these days to match this first run OF Vanguard. Here is a First run Hunting case Vanguard in the 21j version.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a 24-hour version that came in my CPR 1883

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I bought it from a classmate of a locomotive engineer I worked with in Calgary, it had belonged to her father AJ Cameron, who worked out of Winnipeg, Manitoba as a conductor and comes with it's watch inspection card from the CPR, and Hamilton celluloid notebook.

posted
Larry-

Beautiful watch! Not only have I wanted a CPR, but I am always more intrigued by watches with the stories with them!

Between my father and I we have about 10 Private label watches from within 10 miles of my hometown. 7 of the ten are from a Lincoln H. Bucks(My first pocket watch was one of his and started my collecting). We have found some information on him, but it is limited to a couple articles out of town books. It looks like he left Jefferson in the mid teens and possibly moved to california, but we cannot find any information on why. For being the prominent eyeglass and watch person in town in 1907, it is wierd to us that he would just up and leave.

Jared

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I have had the Waltham Railroad dial on a 16 size Vanguard and have one on my 18s Vanguard. To me they are most attractive and practical. I know the Ferguson dials are much sought after but over the years I have concluded that the Railroad dial is considerably scarcer; and certainly much simpler and quicker to read! You have a beautiful watch as does Larry.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thank you Jared, and Richard, I once had a private-label from North Dakota it was an 18 size, 17 jewel, Longines marked "Official Railroad Watch Inspector Grand Forks, N.D. J. Gamsl" on the movement, I sold it many years ago to a watch collector in Montana.

Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jared

You might already have this info on Lincoln H. Bucks but here it is just in case.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
From Past & Present of Green County, Iowa

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This next part might explain why he moved to Ca., his wife's parents lived there.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from a newspaper article in The Jefferson Bee Aug. 13. 1957.

posted
Tom-

Those are the two articles I have. I actually got the copy of the first one out of one of the original books from a local historian. I did just see that it says his wifes parents lived in pasadena, CA. That would explain that they may have moved out there. voting records showed him in jefferson in 1910, but the only Lincoln Bucks I could find after that was in California. Thank you for your time looking! if you can track down other things about him, it would be appreciated. California may be where I have to do some more digging...

Jared

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
So far the only thing I find is the 1920 census for LA California where a Lincoln Bucks born about 1872 in Iowa is a lodger & listed as a salesman in a commercial stationary business. It shows he is married but no one else with the same last name is listed with him.