• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 16s model 1888 - Special Case needed? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked this watch up off our favorite site for about$35, see below. The watch is in extremely nice condition, runs but stops (COA needed) and is in a very nice triple hinge Keystone silveroid case with the last service marking 5/20/04 (I doubt 04 is 2004) but the movement only has one case screw to secure it to the case. Did this model take a special case or was any 16s case ok?

Grade: No. 22
Movement Serial Number: 5301164
Estimated Production Year: 1892
Run Quantity: 3000
Size: 16s
Jewels: 11j
Jewel Setting: Screw-Set
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Gilt
Model: 1888
Movement Setting: Pendant

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
The Model 88 is to Waltham what the Sangamo Special is to Illinois; in other words, they both take something like a 17-size case. They had only one case screw, left or right of the pendant depending on hunter or open-face, and a guide pin located roughly opposite the lone case screw that sat in a drilled hole in the inner rim of the case frame.

Notice the single case screw on one of mine below. Unless the movement came with a case it will prove difficult to find one. Of course, anybody with a lathe can open the frame opening by .9mm to allow the movement to drop in. Landing the guide pin hole in precisely the right place (up or down, in or out) is a lot harder.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
I tend to think it is the correct case for the movement and it is running and keeping time after I adjusted the hands so that they are not hanging up on each other.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009