WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Did A.Lincoln carry a Wm Ellery Model 59 or Model 57? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am receiving conflicting information on this topic and would like to acquire a watch similar to what Lincoln carried. Can anyone provide some insight? I also am told the Serial # of his watch is 67613 but cannot find a reference for this in Shugart's 2003 edition. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 35 | Location: Kapolei, Hawaii USA | Registered: May 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hello Jeff,

Welcome aboard! We're all glad to have you in IHC185. You'll find a lot of friendly people here.

We can determine that Walthan number 67613 is indeed a William Ellery Model 57 produced in January of 1863. That fits into being just about two years before Mr. Lincoln died on April 15th 1865.

That run which went from 67581 through 67900 included both William Ellery and some P.S. Bartlett models. These were full-plate 18-size movements with nickeled plates. The jewel count will be either 7 or 11-jewels, but I'd be after the latter. Most watches of that era were in silver cases.

It will be interesting to see how close a number to the great man's watch you're able find.

When you do, be sure to share some pictures with us!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002