Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992 question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
I recently acquired a circa 1930 (by movement #) 992 that does not look right. Dial has Hamilton in script and the hands are lunate. What should this watch look like?

Thanks,
Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Dial should be in block/manuscript and hands should be blued.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Dana, follow this link and you will find the info you are looking for....

Hamilton 992-992B Dial info- 1924 thru 1971

Good Luck....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1063
posted
Thanks, gentlemen. The dial I have is definitely pre-1920 and the hands I have no idea. I suspect even the case is wrong. Definite Frankenwatch. I suspect not worth the $100.00 I paid for it.

IHC Member 1508
posted
Something like this: Mine was made in 1928, it is in a Keystone Hamilton Model 5 WGF case, a 519 HG dial, blued hands, and "dart" second hand. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Dana, mine was a "frankenwatch" also...but with patience, hunting, and money, I was able to put it right. And for the $100.00 you paid, you didn't get screwed TOO bad. I am so glad I found this place, as it has helped me immensely in finding out what is correct, and what is not. Matter of fact, I've got a pair of hands that are just like the pair on my 992 that I could give you, just to get you started. Don't have the second hand though, so you'll have to hunt for that. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1063
posted
I feel better already. It's too bad the dial is wrong because it's flawless. This is a classic case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

IHC Member 1508
posted
If you would like those hands, shoot me an e-mail with your address, and I'll send them to you. As for your dial, you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it for top dollar, and finding the right one...again for top dollar. Regards, Brad

IHC Member 1508
posted
Dana, try to put up a picture of your "frankenwatch" so that we can see what you're starting with. Makes for great before and after discussions. And, who knows, someone here may want some of the parts that you'll be switching out. Brad