Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dials specifically 18s Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I am in a quandary about which dial should be on one of my Hamiltons or both.

I have a Hamilton 939 (which I have posted pictures of before on here) #15858. Manufactured in 1900, went to the finishing department in 1903, was sold to A.N. Anderson in 1917 along with a lot of other watches that A.N. Anderson purchased at the same time. My Hamilton 939 is fully marked. The rules changed between the time this Hamilton 939 was made and sold. So it was in full compliance with the regulations in 1917 when A.N. Anderson purchased it. It has the correct "hamilton" in script dial on it for the 1917 sales date. If it was sold when it was made it would have the "Hamilton Watch Co" dial in script on it.

Now A.N. Anderson had is own dial put on his movements that read "A.N. Anderson Standard Time" on the dial I don't know what if anything was on the movement. Since the records show A.N. Anderson purchased this watch shouldn't the dial read "A.N. Anderson Standard Time on it"? Maybe he ran out of the dials or maybe someone changed the dial out later? I don't know.

Now enter another watch I have with a "A.N. Anderson Standard Time" dial on it #163556. I have two reference books and neither of them mention A.N. Anderson as purchasing this movement. Does anyone have anything showing that A.N. Anderson purchased #163556? If not should I swap the dials around even though I do not have any concrete proof that the Hamilton 939 #15858 purchased by A.N. Anderson came with an A.N. Anderson dial?

Thanks for your knowledge and opinions,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Harry -

The Hamilton ledgers indicate #163556 was sold to A.N. Anderson on August 26, 1907.

Hamilton 163556

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you very much Nathan! Neither of my reference materials, Lasser's List nor Hamilton Hand-Written Serial Numbers by Col. George E. Townsend show this. I know there is a reference ledger out there and was hoping someone on here had it.

So back to square one. on the 939.

Thank you again Nathan,

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Nathan Moore would you happen to have time to look up Hamilton #15210 to let me know if it was sold to A.N. Anderson> My records do not show that info.

Thanks,
Harry

posted
Certainly. This one is more difficult to decipher.

It appears that #15210 eventually ends up with A.N. Anderson. However, I will post the ledger excerpt to facilitate your interpretation and conclusion.

Hamilton 15210

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Nathan! It appears to me that it was sold to A.N. Anderson either on 4/5/18 or out beside his name in the last column on 2/22/05. I think it must of been 2/22/05 since that date is right beside his name where the other date 4-5-18 is besides the #15009 and I can't really tell if it was carried down. Thanks again,

Harry