Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Opinions please "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I was recently offered this watch. It was described as a kw/ks silver watch by Patek watch co. It is a bit over 1 5/8 dia. Price was around $500. I can see the name on the dust cover but is the movement correct or is it something else. Apart from a couple of problems that are easy to see I felt the movement did not display the quality I would have expected. Am I learning or did I get it wrong again.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
another view

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
the front

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Looks like the name on the dust cover is Pateck's not the well known Patek.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Stephen,

I have found what appears to be the watch that you are describing.
Check out this ebay auction....
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERB-C1880-ANTIQUE-18K-SOLID-GOLD...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posts: 79 | Location: Kensington, Maryland USA | Registered: March 08, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Stephen be careful buying this style of swiss watch i have owned several of them most of the time the cases are very thin and have a steel dust cover and a low quailty movement...While there is a few watches of this style that are quite rare most you see on ebay are of low quaily they do have pretty cases and dials but not worth much. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Stephan
The Pateck spelling was meant to fool/mislead people. The quality of these watches are inferior to a Patek Phillipe.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Thanks all. The watch I was looking at was not on ebay. It was offered to me by someone privatly. I thought I would post it here to confirm or dispell my own thoughts that it was not what it appeared to be. Pleased to report that I have not bought it. I have learnt much in this place. One last question. Should I try to explain to the seller or just politely say no thanks.
Steve

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I'd suggest you just say 'no thanks' and move on, and only explain if he asks. Maybe he knows, and maybe he doesn't.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I too would stand on the 'No Thanks' side...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
I would offer a dissenting opinion.

Whether the person was aware or not I would share what I knew.How can you correct bad information if you don't communicate.
If the person didn't know the facts you did them a big favor.If they were aware they will probably not offer misinformation to you in the future.
Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004