Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin in Unusual Case/New Pics/Bottom "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
1927, 17J, 14k White GF, 12s with 14s dial (I think)(dial should be a Masonic?)
Check out the hands and bow on this one.
Especially the Bow.
4 Pics

Sheila

brownwatch3333

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted

Sheila

brownwatch22

posted
# 3

Sheila

1927, 17J, 14k White GF, 12s

posted

Sheila

Elgin 1927, 14k White GF, 12s

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This is a really NEAT model that can also stand on a desk or nightstand. They turn up a few times a year. Sheila, did you get this one?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,
YEP! I got it at the last minute, and on opening bid. Too high, but I decided, since this was my last watch for a while, that I would get it.
Had to wait 10 days for this one to end too.

Gotta think of Christmas now, so all bids are off till Christmas is over.

This one is White Gold so I had a hard time turning it down. I also wanted to have it for my nightstand or desk just like you mentioned. I actually could use one. Perfect size.

Funny, I have never gotten a vintage Pocket Watch that I really wanted to USE in a practical way!

I love the hands, and the way it sits up, isn't it neat? Not rare, not even that unusual, but it's so nice to have one that I feel great about. Some of em just "Click" ya know?

Not my usual style either!
Tell me what you know about them, and if you have some tidbits for me to chew on about these, pass em on please.
Last, what do you know about Grade 479 and model 10? that's what this is. SN 31126843
1000 1927, grade 479, 12s, class?, Open Face, 3/4 plate, nickel Damaskeening,model 10, Pendant Set. Wayne's site says: notes on grade 479 - 14s dial.

Made between 1923 and 1932.

Sheila

posted
Nice Sheila, i have not seen these before.I like those Elgin 12 sz movements, a little harder to work on but nice to look at, i have a GM Wheeler 12 sz and it is cute too.
Do you also like the 8 day desk clocks too Sheila?

posted
Kevin,
Since I really only know Wrist and Pocket watches, I don't even know 8 day desk clocks.
I have been purchasing some different types of inexpensive alarm clocks lately. I just got a 1950's? Elgin alarm clock, that looks like a pocket watch, and 3 1950's? Lux alarm clocks. I got them for use though. They are nice and loud, and I need LOUD alarm clocks.
If you have an example of an 8 day, how about posting it for me?

Sheila

posted
Hi Sheila, Very nice watch and a unique case. What you have is a 12S model 4. this was the last 12S design made by elgin. These have a detent stem (note the small release screw just below the pendant). These are also a unique size and do not fit a regular 12S case.

This looks to be a presentation watch that was given for service rendered. It wouldn't necessarily have a Masonic dial on it.

Again--great watch.

Tom

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
I really like your watch, so unique! Everything about it is so different, from the numbers to the bow,to the etching and pull out stand etc. etc. Wondering if radium hands? My guess would be yes as one would be able to tell time in the dark.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Hi Tom,
Thank you. One question. Are you talking about the small "Bar" type object? when you say screw?Wayne's site says it's a model 10?? yet it looks like the model 4 you mentioned. (from the book too)
and it's not listed in Shugarts 2004 guide as a model 10 either, it also stops at grade 417 and this is a grade 479?? Is grade 479 right? I noticed that the site refers to grade 392 when you do the ebay search, (model 4) and also mentions this watch with the bow top flip down.
Lots of questions, I know, but I sure would like to know all this. Thank you for the Great information.

Hi Stephanie, I wondered about the hands too.
I don't think they are, or at least they don't glow yet, but they have been packed up for a long time. Maybe they will after sitting in the light a while??? I'll let you know.
I like it too, thought it was unusual.

Sheila

sitting up

posted

Sheila

Sheila's Elgin in Unusual Case 2

posted
Face is not real nice

Sheila

Elgin in Unusual Case

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sheila,

The "detent screw" Tom mentioned is the one closest to the pendant. With the crown at top, the detent screw is the small one unlike anything else on the movememt just to the right of the upper case-screw. It holds the stem in place. These are indeed a Grade 479 "Streamline" model which was a very slim movement in its day. By the way, the original crystal was a very low dome which conformed to the case shape and helped it remain very slim overall.

Your case is unusual, only the third I have seen. I've had mine for several years, having acquired it locally. John D. Duvall has one, I believe his showed up on eBay last year. These unique 14K White Gold-Filled cases were made by Wadsworth and 7983345 is the number on mine. Mine also has "Pat App'ld For" just above the serial number.

I agree with Tom about the presentation on your watch being just that. My movement is 29714960 and has a very similar dial to yours, except that mine has a star denoting "Timed by the Stars" below the Elgin name. About the hands you have, that green stuff is probably rhodium and would have glowed at one time, but probably not anymore.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
Thank you! I had no idea about the screew.
Although the case and movement are like new, the dial is not real good, but much better than the picture below for sure.

The Serial Number is 31126843, 17J, and is marked Adjusted, but does not indicate any positions.

I did notice, in Wayne's site that the 479's were marked streamline in the ebay look up too.

It's definatly a Presentation Watch, and has Delta Lodge 128 on it. If it's the same one today it's in Colorado.

Thank you again for the information.

Sheila

posted
Congrats on the find Sheila!

True the dial isn't perfect, but I don't think it is that bad or out of character with the rest of the watch so I would encourage you to leave it just as it is. Wink

Fred

posted
that is a neat case....... !!

posted
Hi Sheila, I agree with Fred to leave the dial alone. It does not look bad. I look at small marks as giving the watch some character. It shows that it was carried and used. It was someone's personal sidekick.

Also, just a small dab of Happich Simichrome polish will give the case a nice luster.

Tom

posted
Fred, Terry, Tom,
Thank you! I'm real pleased with it too!

Your so right, I won't touch the dial. I would never touch a dial anyway, unless I absolutly had to, I like all original.
I would replace if I had to, but only if all was lost on trying to fix it. This one isn't near bad enough for me to touch.

Tom, Thank you for the cleaning information, I'll try it.

Thanks all!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Sheila,

Well, here is my watch. The case # is 7981611 and movement S/N 30,367,447.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the movement. It runs good but probably hasn't been serviced in decades.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the inscription. Could someone please help me interpret the name? I like to look in the Social Security death records when I have a complete name and approximate age and find the original owner's info.

I think the name is "Chas (Charles) R. Mulcahy Jr."

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!

IHC Life Member
posted
I did some research following the above post and found the following: CHARLES R MULCAHY, born 30 Jan 1916, died 09 Jul 2002 in Bristol, MA. SSN 026-03-0515.

Could this have been a special gift to a 13 year old boy? I purchased this watch on eBay ca 2004.

posted
John,
Nice watch! I think you got the name right; it makes the watch "come to life" a bit when I know that Charles' parents gave this nice gift to him at the age of 13. He took care of it, too. It must have meant quite a bit to him. Of course, that's somewhat speculative, but I like your idea of finding info on original owners.
Pete
Happy New Year!

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
John,
Love those P/Ws. Yours looks to be in nice condition. Interesting history too. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003