Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Can anyone help me with identification of a Seth Thomas pocket watch. The serial number is 746057

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Bruce,
The book says your watch is an 18s, 7 to 17 jewels, model 8, 3/4 plate, Eagle Series, new model. It should also be open face with a Breguet hairspring.
Hope that helps.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thanks Brian,

I am gonna list this thing on ebay and cant figure out the jewel count. I think it is 15 but am not sure.. Thanks again

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Dear Bruce C.,

You mentioned a Seth Thomas book in order to help identify the movement in question. Please let me know what book you are referencing that contains this serial number detail. I am always interested in having serial number reference data to assist in my collecting effort.

THX AGAIN !!!!!!!! Bill

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bruce,

In this instance if all but the center wheel is jeweled it is most likely a 15-Jewel. By the way if you provade a link to your auctions some of us may be interested in bidding on your items.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Bill,
The only book on Seth Thomas watches that I am aware of is entitled "Seth Thomas Watches 1885 - 1915" By Chris Bailey and published by the American Clock & Watch Museum, Inc. in Bristol CT. It lists the Model Numbers by blocks of serial numbers, along with a wealth of other information, parts breakdowns and catalog illustrations. However a breakdown of grades by serial number doesn't exist, and not all of the grades made seem to be listed in any of the existing Seth Thomas catalogs, so exact identification can be an adventure.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002