Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard Help "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I just picked this little 12s watch up this morning. A 12s E Howard 17j Adj serial number 1081391. It is in a three hinged lid Howard case marked EXTRA Crescent star and a quarter moon. The word Crescent in is a banner. Would this case be gold filled?

I will post some pictures later, great movement my first 12s Howard.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Keith
Unless it said 14kt it is gold filled.

I am not 100% sure but I think the extra means it was a higher quality gold filled case--for example 14kt vs possible 12kt or 10kt.

Also beware of 14kt J BOSS cases often used with Howards. J Boss invented the gold filled process and any case marked this way is always gold filled.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Member 48
posted
12s Howard Dial. Check out the seconds bit, the number are red?

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
12s Howard Case Back

IHC Member 48
posted
12s Howard Movement

IHC Member 48
posted
Sorry but picture is bad. Inside of the case

IHC Member 48
posted
I am looking for any other information on this watch like; year, quan
Is that a jeweled barrel?
The dial with the red numbers in the seconds bit is that common?
Thanks

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Keith,

The red five minute outer track is typical of these and many other watches but I do not specifically recall seeing the red seconds numerals before. It is something many of us would overlook, you may have something unusual there.

About your case, as Bob mentioned "Extra" meant a higher quality case, in this instance the gold would be heavier and therefore it would conceivably wear longer, it would be along the lines of a "Permanent" case in some of the other makes. Keystone owned both the Howard name and the Crescent Watch Case Company so a great many of the later Howards came in Crescent cases, I have several in my collection and have seen many others. Remember also that all these watches came factory cased. By the way, that very attractive bow on your watch is original to the case.

No, that is not a jeweled barrel.

According to page 263 of the "Complete Guide to Watches" your number 1081391 is estimated to be from approximately 1910 production. I do not believe there are factory records for the later Howards so for that reason we are left to "guesstimates" such as shown in the watch guide as to production years and the number produced of a given model.

Check page 266 of the watch guide for more information on your watch which is known as a Series 7, 1908 model.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002